HUMANA - Your Preferred Method of Application Submission?

Phone apps for sure. Easy. Prepare them that it could take 45 minutes, though, especially if they are in their 60's and have a medical history. Also, read the underwriting guide about HBP/Cholesterol in conjunction with anything else. If they are otherwise healthy & normal ht & wt, and if the HBP & Cholesterol have been controlled well for more than a year, it might very well be approved in 24-48 hours. If they have multiple underwriting issues, it could go straight to an autodecline, though.

I commend you allen for writing humana other than some tricked up yoyo plan... good job... now other things to know

i do the phone app... easypezy... they will, i repete they will "high pressure" your client on add ons and u know my thoughts on the worthless add ons... it will piss off your client so warn them.... also, they will try and piovit to the credit card billing as it is eaiser... there is a 10 fee and getting them off the cc requires an act of congress... tell them i want bank draft and here are my numbers

also, all members over 18 must listen to a 3 munite recording about hippa

Thank-you for those "heads-up" advisories Peeler. I'll be certain to let these clients know this if I chose the phone method. Right now, I'm leaning towards doing this online and sending the signature link to the clients. I usually write ancillary plans with the major medical and I don't want Humana fighting me for finite premium dollars!
Cheers,
-Allen
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Phone apps for sure. Easy. Prepare them that it could take 45 minutes, though, especially if they are in their 60's and have a medical history. Also, read the underwriting guide about HBP/Cholesterol in conjunction with anything else. If they are otherwise healthy & normal ht & wt, and if the HBP & Cholesterol have been controlled well for more than a year, it might very well be approved in 24-48 hours. If they have multiple underwriting issues, it could go straight to an autodecline, though.

Well Ann, now I'm a bit worried, because the Husband takes Cholesterol medication and is 7 pounds over the weight for Standard. Neither spouse smokes though.

One thing that's encouraging though is that the Humana underwriting is less restrictive the higher the deductible. This couple wants the $10,000 HSA w/out Medication coverage. Plus, they're only 2 years from Medicare. Hopefully Humana isn't as arrogant as Blue Cross. Blue Cross of Illinois usually puts people in this age group through the wringer. Makes them pay for EVERYTHING and then summarily declines them.
-AC

Last edited:
Well Ann, now I'm a bit worried, because the Husband takes Cholesterol medication and is 7 pounds over the weight for Standard. Neither spouse smokes though.

One thing that's encouraging though is that the Humana underwriting is less restrictive the higher the deductible. This couple wants the $10,000 HSA w/out Medication coverage. Plus, they're only 2 years from Medicare. Hopefully Humana isn't as arrogant as Blue Cross. Blue Cross of Illinois usually puts people in this age group through the wringer. Makes them pay for EVERYTHING and then summarily declines them.
-AC

You can go online (I think it's the Humana agent workbench), and you can do a prescreen. The underwriter will get back to you in a very short time (24-48 hours). Humana definitely makes a distinction in the underwriting for high-benefit plan designs vs lower benefit plan designs. The fact that neither spouse smokes is great. I don't know that 7 lbs over standard will be that big of an issue, since the man's in his 60's. Even underwriters realize that most men in their 60's take cholesterol medication and might be a tad too short for their weight.

Okay, I just went online and found your link. It's https://agents.humana-one.com/AgentWorkBench/agentpages/home.aspx. From there you can do an "equery" for a prescreen. You can also download a copy of the underwriting guid.

Last edited:
Hi Ann,

Thanks for the link. I downloaded the Underwriting guide and glanced through it after my Humana appointment papers arrived yesterday. To my knowledge, only a few companies have "tiered" underwriting requirements based on the chosen deductible.

Unless there's a sizable application fee, I don't think a pre-screen will be necessary with this couple. They have nothing to lose by trying.

I have the Husband on Celtic and the Wife on Aetna. (Celtic declined her in 2009) Humana used to be one of the most expensive companies (for our Chicago area) back in the mid 2000's. Thanks to some of the posts in this forum, I decided to revisit Humana last month. Their premiums are now less than every company I'm aware of. Have a great Wednesday Ann and thanks to you and everyone else for your advice, tips and guidance this evening!

I'm in Georgia and I was wondering if you do a three way when you do a phone app or just let your client call Humana themselves?

Florida too? Wow! I guess Ohio is still a bit conservative. The only "three-way" we have here is chili with pasta and cheese. Certainly not the manajatwa that you guys have.

dont b jealous chumps, ohio has cheap real estate could get a mcmansion up there for 1 mill.....

Back