I Am Wondering - What Do You Do?

Lifebga

Expert
I am wondering what independent agents do with their administrative assistance support
Many agents really need a professional – fully trained- full time secretary to answer calls 9-5, book appointments, service clients, (change of beneficiary, change of ownership, etc.)handle premium payment reminders, complete applications with clients, schedule medical exams, follow ups with the BGA/IMO, write letters to clients (birth day cards, etc.), write letters to carriers, order in-force illustrations, assist with accounting and bookkeeping needs, book travel tickets, make credit card payments on time and much more…………
I am talking about a successful producer, who is making 150k – 200k in new TP sales. A full time secretary, who can handle all of the above, would cost you in the area of 50k plus benefits. I don’t believe it is fair to pay a third of your hard earned FYC to a third party.
The renewals? You must save it for retirement.
Do it myself? It takes away precious time that I could spend in front of clients.
Outsource it to a virtual assistant? They will never understand my business.
Hire part time? They will not be available when I need them.

Can anyone tell me how you handle this? And if you or your colleagues have the same problem, let’s share it here, we might have an idea!

I would say 50K plus benefits is likely on the high side. Most front office people in dental and doctors offices do the same kind of paperwork and phone calls but are paid in the 30K range...and many do not have benefits.

"Can anyone tell me how you handle this? And if you or your colleagues have the same problem, let’s share it here, we might have an idea! "

I drink heavily. Then magically it all gets done.

Sorry man, ya just seem to be trying to pitch something or at least you give off that vibe. Especially with your follow up. it just seems kinda spamy.

Maybe you should try again.

Lifegba... I'm betting it some IMO pushing some program where they'll do you back office work for a cut of your commission.

OK, While I feel that you are fishing, I will bite. But first a suggestion. If you are trying to recruit, contribute knowledge to the forum first. If you are worth a look agents will hit you up. If not, these guys will eat your liver.

Now, the question is a good one.

In my case. We made a decision after our second child that my wife would stay home. Daycare for two, ages two and under was killer.

She handles all our admin, Answers the phone, service work, all the client letters, most of the calls to companies, pending, ordering exams etc... We are high touch, so there is a lot of client mail and emails. Which produces a lot of inbound calls and emails. While I still talk to most of the inbounds, she does all the work.

An advantage we have is that my wife started in insurance a year I did in 1985. She knows more than some agents I have talked to. Works out for us. She can't(won't) sell, I like to sell and am a poor admin person.

This morning I gave her 4 apps, two of which have been in my case since Friday. They were all in different stages of completion. Scrubbed them, has already set up exams, PHIs, and faxed to the different companies. As well as sent letters or emails to the clients. Me, I am making and taking calls with my feet up on the desk. I hate the Admin part.

Disadvantages of this set up are many, We pay for all our own benefits, We see way to much of each other, Home and work blend together. In the first year it a real struggle to replace her income. to name just a few.....

Advantages are many as well. My kids always have some one home if they need us or are ill. We want to go to lunch together we do. She makes me money within my book of business. I sell more because that is all I do. Now that the kids are older we can do more as a couple when we want to. We are not held back by some other companies schedule.

Lifegba... I'm betting it some IMO pushing some program where they'll do you back office work for a cut of your commission.

Yes, we are an IMO, and no, I am not here to cut your commissions. In fact, we are paying very attractive commissions for ‘average’ producers.

Yes, we are an IMO, and no, I am not here to cut your commissions. In fact, we are paying very attractive commissions for ‘average’ producers.

Then why didn't you just say as much? This backdoor approach only damaged your credibility when you hadn't even been here to earn some.

Honesty will get your much further, and would probably get you some useful feedback.

Back