I don't do business with "family"

Caveat, I am not an insurance agent.

One other possibility might be to turn it into an opportunity to quote.

Saying something like:

Selling insurance is how I earn my living. I am unwilling to spend the time critiquing another agent's proposals to enable them to receive a commission from you.

The end of the year is my busiest time for health insurance. If you can wait until late December or early January to make a buying decision, I would be glad to give you a quote at that time on a product I would recommend for your needs.

-------------------------------------------------------------

I think the very most important thing for you to do is to set, and clearly express your boundaries, and then stick to that.

Example:
A year or two ago I was talking with a family member about some computer related issues.
"I don't do pro-bono work." That set me back on my heels, but I do know exactly where I stand with him on those kinds of issues.

If they refuse to budge... here's what you say:

"I respect your decision and I hope you'll respect mine. I look forward to seeing you at the family reunion and we'll stay friends on Facebook... but as far as insurance advice goes, I come with my products and I get compensated for helping people understand their choices and making decisions that feel right to them. I am also liable for the advice and guidance I give, which requires that I ask questions, get your data, and make proper recommendations - even if you don't buy from me. But since you've already removed my compensation from the equation, I cannot help you. When you change your mind, we can talk again."
What a cool and well thought out piece of advice.

Liberty Mutual is not in the LTC insurance arena.
So, not really sure what is going on here. Send me what he sent to you, and I will formulate a reply so you can shred it to pieces/show him something better. After which you can tell him to F off, that you are busy working with your clients.
Best answer to the problem ^^^

This doesnt sound like a client you want in the fist place. There is serious mistrust going on with this individual, on many different levels. Its even possible he is aware of this to some extent and therefore knows its best not to have a family member as his agent.

Insurance and finances are a funny thing for people. To us, its just a business, no different than if we owned a restaurant or a store. But to non-agents, its a very personal thing. And LTCI is an asset protection purchase... and money is the most personal thing of all to many.

Imo, tell him you will get to it if you have time, but you are covered up with business right now.

At most, if you want to make a point, relate it back to the store analogy... "so if I owned a computer store, would you ask for my advice but then go buy it from my competitor who has the exact same price as me?" .... "because I am the insurance store, and my prices are exactly the same as everyone else"...

Also, there are some agents who will out right refuse to write family members. Or do everything they can no to. Again, people are funny with money and health and insurance. Its easy to fire a problem client, not so easy when you see that person each year at family get togethers. Lots of stories of regret when it comes to selling policies to family members.

If you want to go the diplomatic route, you could say that your E&O insurance prohibits you from giving advice to people who are not clients or prospective clients.

I've had this to happen to me many times over the years. At first I was like you in that my feelings got hurt. It doesn't bother me today like it used to. Why? Because in almost every case where someone went to another agent and then had a problem, they called me. I have gotten great pleasure over the years in telling the people they need to go back to the agent they bought from and get him or her to handle your problem.

Back