I Have Been Hanging Around and Decided It's Time to Introduce Myself.

jaugusta

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
Guys,
I am pretty new to the game. I served 8 years in the military and now that I am out I decided to find a commission based job. I hated seeing guys who try to hide from work making the same amount of cash that I did when I was working my butt off. So far, I am not making any cash. I understand that it takes time, I am a big picture kind of guy so I am trying to ride this until commission starts to come in. I have been doing this about 3 months now and like it, love helping people and since I am a single dad I can work around my kids which I love. I am also working for the Senior Solutions brand. So far it's a nice job, but not paying the bills at all. So I decided to try to think in a different way. For one, I hate stand ups. That kills me. So what I am doing now is double booking appointments and setting them all 30mins apart. That way, if I have a no show, then I have somebody else to go right to so I did not waste hours of my day, and if they do show up, then I call the other client and reschedule, so at the worst, I have another appointment for later in the week.
Also, I am from a small town about 60 miles away and there is only one agent in that area. So what I have decided to do, is I have made up some mailing letters on long-term care and annuities and am saturating the area with them. I am mailing them to everybody over 45 years old. I am not sure how they will work just yet though, but we will see.
I am here to learn as much as I can from you guys, whatever you can share I will absorb and try to share back.

Guys,
I am pretty new to the game. I served 8 years in the military and now that I am out I decided to find a commission based job. I hated seeing guys who try to hide from work making the same amount of cash that I did when I was working my butt off. So far, I am not making any cash. I understand that it takes time, I am a big picture kind of guy so I am trying to ride this until commission starts to come in. I have been doing this about 3 months now and like it, love helping people and since I am a single dad I can work around my kids which I love. I am also working for the Senior Solutions brand. So far it's a nice job, but not paying the bills at all. So I decided to try to think in a different way. For one, I hate stand ups. That kills me. So what I am doing now is double booking appointments and setting them all 30mins apart. That way, if I have a no show, then I have somebody else to go right to so I did not waste hours of my day, and if they do show up, then I call the other client and reschedule, so at the worst, I have another appointment for later in the week.
Also, I am from a small town about 60 miles away and there is only one agent in that area. So what I have decided to do, is I have made up some mailing letters on long-term care and annuities and am saturating the area with them. I am mailing them to everybody over 45 years old. I am not sure how they will work just yet though, but we will see.
I am here to learn as much as I can from you guys, whatever you can share I will absorb and try to share back.

I first would like to say thank you for your service to our country; and welcome to the forum.

I noticed you are from TN. Close to Memphis by chance?

I first would like to say thank you for your service to our country; and welcome to the forum.

I noticed you are from TN. Close to Memphis by chance?
No I am in the Johnson City area.

You know it's nice to hear "thanks" for my service, I lived in Minnesota for the past 6 years and was spit at almost everyday when leaving base.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Echo the thanks for servicing our country.

There are a lot of unbiased good ideas floating around the Forum.
I see that there are a lot of great ideas here. I am doing all I cna to learn everything I can from you guys.

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Last edited:
Thanks for your service. I would say that if you are getting stood up a lot, you need to prospect a little better, rather than setting appointments. Fish for what's biting.

Good idea with the booking. When I used to actually go see my clients when I was a life agent. I would do something similiar except I would set appointments time with an hour window such as

Appointment 1 8:00
Apointment 2 8:00-9:00
Appointment 9:00-10:00

and etc. so if the first wasn't there I could get to the next and still be on time for the next. I would schedule about 8-12 appointments a day and about half would show. It actually worked pretty good until I decided to become a pajama agent.

You know it's nice to hear "thanks" for my service, I lived in Minnesota for the past 6 years and was spit at almost everyday when leaving base.

Hmmmm. Surprised to hear of the disdain for military personnel today, based on your experience in MN.

Reminds me of another time in history, 1968-70, stationed at Chanute AFB, Rantoul, IL. Upon leaving base in any direction you would see many signs, "Dogs and Air Force people - Stay off the grass". And way worse. Many altercations with college kids that would outnumber Airmen, that turned into downright beatdowns... some producing serious injury and one death that I recall. Traveling in large numbers became a necessity. Of course this was in the midst of the highly unpopular Vitenam War days...

Fortunately your experience in MN is the stark exception today. Nearly ALL folks today share the sentiment of those here and applaud your service, as do I... Thank you very much. You could use the fact that you are newly discharged from service, especially in TN, in some modest way and you should be well received. You may find a niche in marketing products to other ex-service personnel.

Good info here and many caring and generous folks who are willing to share countless hours toward the success of you and others. Best of luck to you in your pursuit of a great business.

I'm in Minnesota, sorry to hear about your experience here. Unfortanetly a few liberals in the cities ruin the state for the rest of us. What part of the state were you in?

Thanks for the words guys. I was in Duluth MN. Not exactly the most friendly place ever with military.
I remember my VERY FIRST day there I was asked to leave a burger joint because I was in my uniform. Not the best impression on an E-2 right out of boot camp.

Back