I have no idea where to start

Inspector2211

The thing about the Internet is that sometimes it sends you around in circles. So far, in my search for career advice, it always sends me back to this forum and I always find something useful. So, I joined! Thanks for your time and any advice you can give me.

I'm a full-time employee who processes healthcare claims for a major health insurance carrier in the nation. It's a very modest living and not enough to give me and my family the type of lifestyle we want/need. I'm interested in more information on how to sell Life & Health (and Medicare). I like the aspect of low service because, although I really like helping people, I usually get caught in a rabbit hole and helping too much.

I know I first need to complete a pre-licensing course. Someone here recommended AD Banker instead of Kaplan because it's more to the point. Any other opinions on that? (I'm in Michigan if that matters).

My main concern is how, or when, I should execute my plan. I'm currently attending WGU working towards my bachelors degree in Healthcare Management which I think will be beneficial for a career in insurance. I should probably finish the degree first; I'm planning on being done before December, 2020. But, is studying for the L&H exam really time-consuming or difficult? Like, difficult enough to distract me from completing my degree in time?

Should I even bother trying to get licensed because of COVID-19? Maybe it's not a good time for new agents?

Another concern I have is, as a newborn agent, how does one reconcile working full-time for someone else while trying to get off the ground and make money as a agent? Who would I work for? This is where I get lost. I sold Avon for a short time and it didn't go well. I really, REALLY, don't want my insurance career to be like Avon.

TL;DR: I want to get licensed in L&H (and Medicare). Is corona virus season a bad time for new agents? Should I wait until I'm done with my bachelors degree? How do you make money as a new agent while working a full-time job? Please tell me selling insurance is not like selling Avon.

I know you all are awesome so I'm excited for your advice! Thank you so much!

How do you make money as a new agent while working a full-time job?
For a lot of us on this board, selling insurance is a business, not a job.

I can't see working full time for someone else and trying to sell insurance (and deal with everything else that self-employed people have to do) on the side. It would be very difficult to be successful.

Others may post with different experiences but making money selling insurance normally involves some lifestyle adjustments (downward) early on. If you make it a few years, though, you make can make a really good living.

Good luck.

Sorry. I should have said that I can't quit my full-time job in the beginning until income from insurance sales meets or exceeds income from my job. I appreciate your advice. Thank you.

*Edited spelling error.

Sorry. I should have said that I can't quit my full-time job in the beginning until income from insurance sales meets or exceeds income from my job. I appreciate your advice. Thank you.

*Edited spelling error.
Again...it's not a job. You're starting your own business. You need capital and a plan.

If you want to be successful, it will take most of your time.

Look at it this way; could you buy a Dunkin' Donuts franchise right now and make it successful working it part-time?

No? Don't start down this road. Yes? Then by all means, give it a go.

The thing about the Internet is that sometimes it sends you around in circles. So far, in my search for career advice, it always sends me back to this forum and I always find something useful. So, I joined! Thanks for your time and any advice you can give me.

I'm a full-time employee who processes healthcare claims for a major health insurance carrier in the nation. It's a very modest living and not enough to give me and my family the type of lifestyle we want/need. I'm interested in more information on how to sell Life & Health (and Medicare). I like the aspect of low service because, although I really like helping people, I usually get caught in a rabbit hole and helping too much.

I know I first need to complete a pre-licensing course. Someone here recommended AD Banker instead of Kaplan because it's more to the point. Any other opinions on that? (I'm in Michigan if that matters).

My main concern is how, or when, I should execute my plan. I'm currently attending WGU working towards my bachelors degree in Healthcare Management which I think will be beneficial for a career in insurance. I should probably finish the degree first; I'm planning on being done before December, 2020. But, is studying for the L&H exam really time-consuming or difficult? Like, difficult enough to distract me from completing my degree in time?

Should I even bother trying to get licensed because of COVID-19? Maybe it's not a good time for new agents?

Another concern I have is, as a newborn agent, how does one reconcile working full-time for someone else while trying to get off the ground and make money as a agent? Who would I work for? This is where I get lost. I sold Avon for a short time and it didn't go well. I really, REALLY, don't want my insurance career to be like Avon.

TL;DR: I want to get licensed in L&H (and Medicare). Is corona virus season a bad time for new agents? Should I wait until I'm done with my bachelors degree? How do you make money as a new agent while working a full-time job? Please tell me selling insurance is not like selling Avon.

Degrees don't dictate your ability to sell a product to an individual.

I'm interested in more information on how to sell Life & Health (and Medicare).

The most specific thing you listed there was Medicare. There's a wide range on everything else.

Many people have gotten quite a bit of clarity with my video here:

I'm currently attending WGU working towards my bachelors degree in Healthcare Management which I think will be beneficial for a career in insurance. I should probably finish the degree first; I'm planning on being done before December, 2020. But, is studying for the L&H exam really time-consuming or difficult? Like, difficult enough to distract me from completing my degree in time?

As someone who doesn't have a degree, if you're that close to completing it, I'd complete it. You'll always regret not completing it - particularly if you're close to finishing.

I took 3 weeks (16 years ago) to study and prepare for my exam. One week for the 52 hours of pre-licensing, one week of additional study, and took the exam the following week.

Right now, your state has issues with your Governor, so I don't know if you can even take the exam right now. That doesn't mean you can't figure out your study plan for when you can finally take the exam.

You'll probably want to get with some agency that has a lead generation program. When you don't have time, you need to leverage money and/or lower commissions to get started.

I'd check out David Duford's ( @Rearden ) YouTube channel for a lot of tips. You won't be selling 5-6 figure life insurance commission cases... but you can probably make a few sales around your work schedule.

You won't be learning to generate your own leads on your own - you'll be doing mailers. To transition off of mailers you'll need prospecting skills, referral skills, and ideally both.

Don't let COVID-19 deter you from getting started. For some policies, it's actually been a catalyst for increased sales. It's also led to carriers offering increased support/capabilities for non face-to-face sales.

In any case, you will have to be realistic with your time management and sales expectations. Set some goals and don't get discouraged because your sales numbers pale in comparison to the numbers that you'll see/hear from other agents or on this forum. If you make even just one sale a month (as a side hustle) then you'll be on your way to building a base to launch from (depending on what you're selling, that could be 4-12K for first year comp and renewals in the 0-4K neighborhood).

Work out a budget of both your time and money to put towards your insurance biz and find the tools to help you get rolling.

Back