I NEED HELP! Trying to Get Appointed with P&C Companies

Welcome to the forum MIKE.....:skeptical:
RBA, this is by far my most intriguing topic of interest in this forum and I appreciate your input.

You seem pretty sold on SIAA. Coming from a captive environment and exploring, I still have a bit of trouble with the concept of clusters.

For one, there is the inevitable non compete, 15 year commitment, and money up front. I just fail to see how this is so appealing. It would seem to me, that finding a GA, making your intentions clear, and negotiating terms for indirect appointments to build a book before getting direct appointments makes the most sense.

I don't mean to make this sound too negative, because I would really like to know the reasons this makes so much sense and if SIAA has a competitive presence in mid-Atlantic.

I appreciate your thoughts. If this sounds like it is coming from a cynical captive agent for 17 years, then it sounds about right.;)

Last edited:
Rb, thanks for posting the thread. I guess talking to local SIAA MA would be beneficial, to fully get local market access.

I value your input.

Yes, states will vary and each contract can vary slightly, so hard for us to answer too much and possible be wrong.

This also depends on your personality. When I started my agency almost 8 years ago, I was able to get one appointment,, and it was non standard. Over time, I have added great names like Hartford, Safeco, PHLY, USLI, and more. We now serve over 40 states. This isn't the way for everyone, so lay out a plan, analyze it, and then stay focused.

Unfortunately, you’re not the only individual that faces this problem coming out of school and passing the 220 General Lines P&C License Exam in the State of Florida and wanting to become independent and on your own.

I found an easy way to get my first 220 license appointment with my first company. I even checked it out with the State of Florida Department of Insurance and it was approved and in my profile!

First, traditional carriers I have found did not want to appoint me unless I had a book of business. I found a way to get appointed for $19.99 per month plus a $10.00 dollar one time sign up application fee. This procedure was easy and it will work for you as well.

The company I signed up with does not sell insurance but does sell a legal plan in the State of Florida that qualifies you to become registered and appointed to sell 220 P&C insurance products to the public and will allow you to hold your 220 license indefinitely under the "Other License Qualification" as long as you satisfy your requirements for ongoing continuing education under the 215 license requirements.

Keep in mind there is a State deadline to become appointed within 24 months after passing your 220 General Lines Property and Casualty State License Certification Exam and your fingerprints are only valid for 12 months from the date they were taken.

To make a long story short you should get appointed with someone within 12 months to avoid paying more out of pocket expenses.
Here is how I fixed this issue immediately. I signed myself up to sell a 2-56 Legal Expense Plan.

TYPE AND CLASSES:
2-56 Legal Expense Sales Representative
Florida Statutes 642.015 defines a “LEGAL EXPENSE INSURANCE” as an individual who offers a contractual obligation to provide specific legal services, or to reimburse for specific legal expenses, in consideration of a specified payment for an interval of time, regardless of whether the payment is made by the beneficiaries individually or by a third person for them, but does not include the provisions of, or reimbursement for, legal services incidental to other insurance coverage.

Although this is not a traditional way to get your first appointment to sell all lines of insurance for the General Lines P&C market like the abbreviated list below:
Property and Casualty Crop Hail & Multi-peril Crop 4-30 NA
General Lines 2-20 9-20
General Lines (Temporary) T2-20 T9-20
Industrial Fire or Burglary 2-33 9-33
Industrial Fire or Burglary (Temporary) T2-33 NA
Personal Lines 20-44 90-44

I found myself being appointed very easily within 10 days by signing up for a legal expense plan and being appointed directly with the company.

This may be a step in the right direction for you until you can legitimately create a book of business and the use this as a launching pad to get appointed with other carriers in the future. If you have any questions how to sign up for this legal plan feel free to contact me at 954-740-4543.

I wish you all the best. :)

I have Superior and I really don't like it..
Most of my clients are Hispanics and do not have ss #.. I am looking for another software that I can use...

----------

Raul Rosano
Does your plan work for California?

I have Superior and I really don't like it..
Most of my clients are Hispanics and do not have ss #.. I am looking for another software that I can use...

----------

Raul Rosano
Does your plan work for California?

Interesting.

They dont have a ss#???
How are they able to work and pay taxes? I guess they have no credit either?
Crappy rates are coming their way....

Ahh, California doesn't rate based on credit.

You'll have to have a direct appointment rather then going through Superior to get access to decent rates for these drivers.

Dan

Back