"I Need to Think About It"

Thanks for the claps! :) (not the clap) ha ha
I started car..and drove very quickly away from that area..
I don't know if he wanted to rob me or "Sandusky" me in my car..but it was the most whacked out appointment that I've ever been on! LOL

Johnny, thanks for the good laugh. Much needed! :D

Two thoughts. First, at the very outset, be sure to ask "Why am I here?" "What are looking for from me today?" "What do you hope to accomplish in this meeting?" This gives them the opportunity to spell out their problem, whatever it might be. They're stating the issue and if they don't come out with it, it's appropriate for you to RE-STATE the question, "You invited me in. Why again did you want to meet?"

Second, use the David Sander (great sales trainer) technique of asking for a "contract" up front, such as: "Before we start, let's agred on an important point. I'm going to present a solution to your problem and if it's the right solution and it's affordable, I'm going to ask you for a Yes or a No. Either one is going to be all right with me, but the one answer that's unacceptable is "I want to think about it." You see, I'm going to give you all the information you'll need to make the best decision for you. From experience, I know that 'I want to think about it' is just another way of avoiding any kind of answer. Will you be up front with me and promise a Yes or No answer?"

Takes guts but it works. If, an hour later, they give you a "want to think about it," you can refer back to their promise...."Well, remember you promised...."

IMHO, that approach, in addition to being archaic, seems heavy-handed and confrontational to me.

I use this:

"when you were kind enough to grant some time out of your schedule to make sure your family was protected, you probably had some idea of what to expect.....how does what I've shown you differ from what you were expecting?"

"Archaic" it is and so am I. "Old School" still works so quit trying to re-invent the wheel is my way of life, but to be honest, I very rarely, if ever, hear "I want to think about it.

Two thoughts. First, at the very outset, be sure to ask "Why am I here?" "What are looking for from me today?" "What do you hope to accomplish in this meeting?" This gives them the opportunity to spell out their problem, whatever it might be. They're stating the issue and if they don't come out with it, it's appropriate for you to RE-STATE the question, "You invited me in. Why again did you want to meet?"

Second, use the David Sander (great sales trainer) technique of asking for a "contract" up front, such as: "Before we start, let's agred on an important point. I'm going to present a solution to your problem and if it's the right solution and it's affordable, I'm going to ask you for a Yes or a No. Either one is going to be all right with me, but the one answer that's unacceptable is "I want to think about it." You see, I'm going to give you all the information you'll need to make the best decision for you. From experience, I know that 'I want to think about it' is just another way of avoiding any kind of answer. Will you be up front with me and promise a Yes or No answer?"

Takes guts but it works. If, an hour later, they give you a "want to think about it," you can refer back to their promise...."Well, remember you promised...."

I have to tell you when I was a mortgage broker 15 years ago I had people set appointments for me & I use to use that in my presentation all the time & it worked like a charm.

Back