I saw 2023 call center MA TV commercial tonight

It's not a lie as far as I understand it.

MAPD plans are required to include the A&B coverages, albeit with networks and prior auth.

But if Medicare B covers a colonoscopy, MA had to as well. They can't "exclude" A&B benefits.

What makes you say it's a lie? Just curious.

Yes C covers everything that a and b covers but the ad IMO gives the impression that it covers EVERYTHING that a and b covers- as in no cost share.
Ad plays on the FOMO because they know consumers,docters and agents don't label MA as part C so much.Also they are really advertising for OEP business but after they say may be eligible if moving,loss of eghp and new to medicare they say " call during THIS special enrollment " as if the SEP they are referring to is happening right now for everybody.

With all that said I believe this is an effective ad to get people to call but it is very misleading.I am sure a lot of the consumers that respond to these ads are the same one's who respond to the BRC leads for a free Medicare review.

They say it covers everything. That insinuates there's no copays or anything left for the beneficiary to pay.

Yes, MA covers the same items OM does....but it doesn't cover it in the same amounts.

I think this ad was the most misleading I've heard yet.

"Covers everything in Part A and Part B" sounds like 100% coverage to me. Says it twice.

Also. those ads NEVER tell about the negatives (copays, networks, etc.).

Remember they are comparing A and B of Medicare to MAPD. They aren't comparing A and B Medicare along with a Med Sup to MAPD. In the hospital one day with A and B and you pay $1600 vs. $350 if you had MAPD. I realize that is misleading also just talking about A and B but that is another way the ads get around certain rules.

Yes C covers everything that a and b covers but the ad IMO gives the impression that it covers EVERYTHING that a and b covers- as in no cost share.
Ad plays on the FOMO because they know consumers,docters and agents don't label MA as part C so much.Also they are really advertising for OEP business but after they say may be eligible if moving,loss of eghp and new to medicare they say " call during THIS special enrollment " as if the SEP they are referring to is happening right now for everybody.

With all that said I believe this is an effective ad to get people to call but it is very misleading.I am sure a lot of the consumers that respond to these ads are the same one's who respond to the BRC leads for a free Medicare review.
Thanks for taking the time to make a response to my question.

I don't believe an obligation on the part of Part C carriers to provide the same benefits as Original Medicare Parts A and B also means there is an obligation on the part of Part C carriers to financially cover the provided benefits in precisely the same way Original Medicare Parts A and B do.

I had a few MA customers call me this AEP and ask me why they don't have a part C card. because of this ad.

I have been puzzling over how that could come about. After watching the ad 3-4 times, I finally figured it out.

That sounds like an interesting discussion (also a time waster for a person earning a living by doing this stuff). Do you tell them they already have a Part C card, it just doesn't come from the government?

Remember they are comparing A and B of Medicare to MAPD. They aren't comparing A and B Medicare along with a Med Sup to MAPD. In the hospital one day with A and B and you pay $1600 vs. $350 if you had MAPD. I realize that is misleading also just talking about A and B but that is another way the ads get around certain rules.
I understand that, but most of the complaints are because of the misleading ads. I've been half listening to some of those ads, and I think, "damn, that sounds great". Then I remember that's not the way it works.

I haven't seen any of the ads. This would be the first one.

How would this ad with just a voice and background screens be more obnoxious and confusing than some ad with Medicare Advantage being promoted by a "personality".

because they make it seem like they are letting you in on these new fangled part C plans that the gov. doesn't want you to know about
I have been puzzling over how that could come about. After watching the ad 3-4 times, I finally figured it out.

That sounds like an interesting discussion (also a time waster for a person earning a living by doing this stuff). Do you tell them they already have a Part C card, it just doesn't come from the government?

yes i tell them and then they ask how come it doesn't say part C on their card.never had that happen until after they ran these ads non stop last year.I would love to be a fly on the wall and hear the pitch these Part C telereps tell consumers who already have a very good and suitable part C plan with all the extras and don't realize it.

@goillini52 - does Medicare cover knee replacement surgery?
Yes.

Does Medicare cover inpatient hospital care?
Yes.

Does Medicare cover ambulance services?
Yes.

I don't think "covers" necessarily implies 100% with no cost sharing -- it doesn't with OM and doesn't with MAPD either.

I'll agree it can cause confusion and the desire to leave out details is purely motivated by sales. I just don't think it's a lie.

Back