I thought FB was supposed to SPY on me???

Yeah, the algorithms are supposed to target you intelligently based on your activity, age, online history, etc.

For that reason I get pretty weirded out when I'm watching Youtube and I start seeing ads for antipsychotics, which happens a lot, lol.

...I get pretty weirded out when I'm watching Youtube and I start seeing ads for antipsychotics, which happens a lot, lol.
Why would that be weird? Doesn’t everybody get those?:goofy:
tenor.gif

They have access to a lot of data. This can include things that happen outside of Facebook.

This includes Credit card purchases you make in a local store - not just online.

It also includes conversations they listen to when your phone is on.

My wife, her cousin and I vacationed together 2 years ago. My wife, who is vegan, mentioned a vegan cook book she liked while we enjoyed a meal together.

A couple of minutes later, her cousin looked at her phone. She saw an ad on her FB feed for veggie burgers.

Her cousin isn't vegetarian and hadn't seen similar ads before than, so we all concluded that FB heard us.

Yes. Huxley, and his one time student Orwell, predicted the reality we live in. Our vices control us and there are spies everywhere, including your pocket, if you carry a smart phone.

I hate the downside of technology

A solution

Just go back to using flip phones and only surf the web at your local library and you’ll be safe

But never leave home without protection....a tin foil hat and some sunglasses.

Slightly drastic given the dependence we have on tech in 2020

^ I was wondering why this was odd to you. Now I see why.

I don't believe Facebook themselves recommended it but moreso the person who paid for the ad.

Could be her or her advertising agency simply targeted you in some other way (ex agents in California for example).

But it appears her ad targeting needs to be tweaked as she is advertising to critic of the CFP .... unless you plan on changing your mind because of her eye-catching ad

But it appears her ad targeting needs to be tweaked as she is advertising to critic of the CFP .... unless you plan on changing your mind because of her eye-catching ad

I don't think the algorithm is sophisticated enough (yet) to separate those who talk about X positively from those who talk about X negatively.

Or those who visit websites that pro X versus websites that are anti-X.

I always made the assumption that Facebook only knows what you told FB by interacting with FB.

That's not true. Not by a long shot. If you advertise with FB, you can see the targeting opportunities and get a glimpse at what they know.

They (Google, FB, the NSA... ) know more about you than Santa. ...so be good for goodness sake!

"Daniel-san, never put passion before principle. Even if win, you lose." - Mr. Miyagi

Last edited:
Back