If I Leave my Company....

I work for a brokerage in the Tampa, FL area doing telephone sales. It's not a bad job and honestly I make a OK living at it (approx 35 - 40K) I've done telephone sales and CSR work most of my life in one form or another.

I'm going to be 50 in April and am not where I want to be looking down the road. That's a long story and something I'm not going to get into.

Anyhow, I have been there for about a year. What I don't like is that they seem to bounce me about from dept to dept as needed and I learn one product well then am bounced to another team. It does allow me a lot of experience with different companies (currently I can write 15+ major Life and Health carrier's).

The job can be a bit unstable but I would like to stay at least another year for the experience of selling insurance. I know that instability is part of selling insurance, but here's my question.

If I leave my company who would you recommend going with (local agency in the Tampa area)? Being in Florida, I think it's best that I concentrate on FE products with some LTC mixed in. Medicare supplements of course and I would consider getting training in MA product's if it would help.

I would not mind "getting my feet" wet with a company if I could work weekends for now but I would have to write with companies other than who I'm appointed with now.

This sound like a plan or am I making an error somewhere?

Stay at TZ insurance until you line something else up. You'll be starting from zero if you go indy.

Isn't that the same for everyone? We all have to start from scratch.

To the OP the hardest part of insurance is finding clients. You have that easy right now but it's not paying that much. If you can get on your own and know how to find clients, you'll be fine because you know the product already. But your phone will not be ringing off the hook anymore with people looking for insurance.

Back