Ignoring the DNC List

I have personally have had a lady calling for with me with mojo years back. At the time, she was calling a small business owner list. Well, one lady had her cell on the list. My telemarketer said the lead went crazy when my telemarketer called. After several attempts to apologize, the telemarketer hung up. Angry caller phoned my state attorney general's office and complained. They called my company's home office at the time and I got a call from my director (nice to get singled out of 800+ agents)...

He asked me if I scrubbed the list, I told him I had not because it was a business list. He told me since I had not, I had no leg to stand on. He said he would see what he could do and get back to me. He was very polite about it and understood I was trying to get business, but said I might have to abandon that soon.

I am sure my director personally knew the attorney general, so sure that helped. In the end, I had to write a letter saying I would not call that particular person ever again.

I was waiting for you to tell us she is now one of your best clients. :yes:

They're not. Even if you have an existing business relationship, the person receiving them has to explicitly agree to receive them. There are a few exceptions like getting a robo call to confirm a doctors appointment or to let you know that you prescription is ready. For anyone interested, the text of the law is here: http://www.tcpalaw.com/free/47usc.txt

Did this change? I thought I had something different previously...

Good thing I only use live telemarketers ;)

"Fines" are for big dogs. If a typical agent, living in his parent's basement, calls someone on the dnc, he's going to be sued in small claims court, and if he has his shitt together, will likely win, if not, he will pay a small judgement.

It is astounding how big some of you think you are..yea, they're going to exact an Ftc fine and put you on the front page..poor agent calls even poorer client, who was on the dnc list. You will need to be represented by the greatest legal minds in the Country. Not happening, I can promise you that nobody important will care.

If you have 200 tms calling all over the country for largest agency in seven States, that would be different.

You still did nothing wrong.

Many years ago I did nothing wrong but that didn't stop a former employer suing for (allegedly) violating my non-compete. Making matters worse, they sued 23 months after I had left. Only one more month in the non-compete.

Still cost me $20k to prove I did nothing wrong.

Many years ago I did nothing wrong but that didn't stop a former employer suing for (allegedly) violating my non-compete. Making matters worse, they sued 23 months after I had left. Only one more month in the non-compete. Still cost me $20k to prove I did nothing wrong.

We definitely need tort reform in this country.

----------

For example, I read an article today about the family of a black man who was shot and killed by an off-duty police officer while he was trying to shoot the off-duty police officer.

They are now suing the security company that he worked for saying that the security company should have known better that that cop would shoot random people on the street.

We definitely need tort reform in this country.

----------

For example, I read an article today about the family of a black man who was shot and killed by an off-duty police officer while he was trying to shoot the off-duty police officer.

They are now suing the security company that he worked for saying that the security company should have known better that that cop would shoot random people on the street.

You've got to love those stories where the criminal that's committing a crime is the victim.:mad:

I have personally have had a lady calling for with me with mojo years back. At the time, she was calling a small business owner list. Well, one lady had her cell on the list. My telemarketer said the lead went crazy when my telemarketer called. After several attempts to apologize, the telemarketer hung up. Angry caller phoned my state attorney general's office and complained. They called my company's home office at the time and I got a call from my director (nice to get singled out of 800+ agents)...

He asked me if I scrubbed the list, I told him I had not because it was a business list. He told me since I had not, I had no leg to stand on. He said he would see what he could do and get back to me. He was very polite about it and understood I was trying to get business, but said I might have to abandon that soon.

I am sure my director personally knew the attorney general, so sure that helped. In the end, I had to write a letter saying I would not call that particular person ever again.

In hindsight, an appropriate response could have been: I complied with the rules for calling small businesses....?

In hindsight, an appropriate response could have been: I complied with the rules for calling small businesses....?

Another phone response would have been to point out that it's the "The Telephone Consumer Protection Act" not the "Telephone Business Protection Act".

https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/bus...elemarketers-sellers-about-dnc-provisions-tsr

From the FTC website:
Organizations That Only Make Telephone Calls That Fall Within Exempt Categories
A for-profit organization may register as an exempt organization if ALL of the telephone calls that it makes fall within one or more of these categories:

Business-to-Business Calls:
Most phone calls to a business made with the intent to solicit sales from that business are exempt from the Do Not Call provisions.

Back