I'm Suddenly Getting Porched. A Lot. What Am I Doing Wrong?

How hard are you selling the appt? If you really push hard, and have to "sell" the appointment, they are probably saying "ok, I'll meet with you" just to get you off the phone.

If this aint the case, try asking for directions when setting the appointment. I call this "paint my way to their doorstep". If they have to really think about it when setting the appointment, they are much more likely to remember. Early on I had a similar problem, and I found this help a lot.

Also, have them physically write it down. I read somewhere once that, that more senses that someone uses to remember something the more likely they are to remember it. Hearing it is not enough. If you have them write it down and read it they are using 3 senses (Hearing, touch (from writing), and sight (from reading))

I know another poster said not to give out your phone number (there are gonna be a lot of opinions here, just find something that works and do it), but I DO give out my phone number. Reason why is, if they are gona not be there, I want them to call me, so I dont waste time and gas driving all over the map to be porched. (If they call to cancel, they weren't gonna be there anyway). Also, if they are calling to RESCHEDULE, this aint necessarily a bad thing. The interest is still there, just the timing was bad.

Hi all,

Having a really bad streak the past couple of weeks. I've had a little over a dozen appointments, about 14-15. Of these, two have called me to reschedule or cancel before I showed up, the others just haven't shown. This is just for my in-person appointments, phone appointments are a different issue for a different thread. I am mostly doing senior final expense and Med Supps.

I'm booking these off of referrals, door knocks, and just calling leads. I tell the client what my schedule is like and where I will be geographically. For example, if I'm going to be in Southwest Portland, I'll try to book my appointments in Southwest Portland, and I'll say something like,

"Well, Bob, I'm going to be meeting with another client in Southwest Portland on Thursday morning, after that I've got time around noon or two, which of those works better for you?"

and after they answer and give me a time, I confirm their address and ask them to put me on their calendar/schedule/whatever they use. "Okay, you've got me on your schedule?"
"Yup!"
"Great, I'll see you at noon on Thursday." and wrap up the call.

Or if it's a door knock, "hey, I'm going to be back in this area on Thursday," etc etc and then I make sure I see them put it on their calendar/schedule or write it down somewhere.

I've been doing it this way since I started a few months ago and it was working until about two weeks ago. Am I just having bad luck or am I doing anything glaringly wrong? Not only am I having a hard time not taking this personally (some of these folks have been REALLY disrespectful) but worse - I'm not making any money :mad:

Thanks in advance for the help.

Sounds like you are booking too far out and from reading the rest of the thread, talking too much on the phone.

I don't schedule more than one day out. I do not call again once the appointment is set. I would give my number if they asked. I can't recall anyone asking. Of course they have my number on the caller ID.

I NEVER quote over the phone. But, there will be no shows. Just part of the business. Sometimes they are sprinkled in, sometimes I go weeks without a no show and then sometimes it seems they all no show.

Today I'm scheduling for tomorrow. I will schedule 6-7 appointments for tomorrow. I will still carry my folder of leads in that areas and , if there's a no show I will just DK the leads that don't have phone numbers.

Your IMO should be teaching you these things. That's why they get the over rides.

Hi all,

Having a really bad streak the past couple of weeks. I've had a little over a dozen appointments, about 14-15. Of these, two have called me to reschedule or cancel before I showed up, the others just haven't shown. This is just for my in-person appointments, phone appointments are a different issue for a different thread. I am mostly doing senior final expense and Med Supps.

I'm booking these off of referrals, door knocks, and just calling leads. I tell the client what my schedule is like and where I will be geographically. For example, if I'm going to be in Southwest Portland, I'll try to book my appointments in Southwest Portland, and I'll say something like,

"Well, Bob, I'm going to be meeting with another client in Southwest Portland on Thursday morning, after that I've got time around noon or two, which of those works better for you?"

and after they answer and give me a time, I confirm their address and ask them to put me on their calendar/schedule/whatever they use. "Okay, you've got me on your schedule?"
"Yup!"
"Great, I'll see you at noon on Thursday." and wrap up the call.

Or if it's a door knock, "hey, I'm going to be back in this area on Thursday," etc etc and then I make sure I see them put it on their calendar/schedule or write it down somewhere.

I've been doing it this way since I started a few months ago and it was working until about two weeks ago. Am I just having bad luck or am I doing anything glaringly wrong? Not only am I having a hard time not taking this personally (some of these folks have been REALLY disrespectful) but worse - I'm not making any money :mad:

Thanks in advance for the help.

If it was working perfectly and now for two weeks it's completely the opposite, you changed something. It might be something hard to notice or seems pointless, but something changed.

Go back to the basics when it was working. Retrain yourself to do it the way you were. If it was working, it still does.

Go out and get some easy wins to get your head back in the game. Even if you don't make much money on it, do it to boost back up your confidence.

If you just keep banging your head against the wall, it's going to get worse and worse.

What JD said. Don't book out more than two days, call them back if they say they dont have time in the next two days. Don't ever throw away a lead card(I mean never) I've called some over 20 times before I booked and sold(I dont even care if they tell me not to call back... I still call back at some point). Buy Mike Brooks script book, adapt it to your style. And when scheduling the appointment be sure to stress how you respect their time, they respect yours, and tie down the appointment, "ok, Tom, outside of WWIII I will see you tomorrow at_____________"

What JD said. Don't book out more than two days, call them back if they say they dont have time in the next two days. Don't ever throw away a lead card(I mean never) I've called some over 20 times before I booked and sold(I dont even care if they tell me not to call back... I still call back at some point). Buy Mike Brooks script book, adapt it to your style. And when scheduling the appointment be sure to stress how you respect their time, they respect yours, and tie down the appointment, "ok, Tom, outside of WWIII I will see you tomorrow at_____________"

I agree with not scheduling more than 1 day out. I don't agree with needing to buy a script on appointment setting though.

It is so simple...the agents I see fail is because they are making it more complicated.

Hey is this Mary? Hey Mary, this is Ben how are you doing? (What is important here is relating to them if something comes up) If they say I'm doing alright, just about to burn up in this heat though. Or doing good I just got in from working in the garden, etc....I actually talk to them about it. "Mary I know about that heat! It has been rough. I was out in it yesterday cutting the grass for my dad or blah blah" BECOME LIKABLE if possible during this part.

Then continue...."Well Mary the reason I am calling you is because my company mailed out a little postcard to your house and you were kind enough to read it, fill it out and mail it back, (DO NOT PAUSE) and I just need to verify the information YOU put on the card. (DO NOT PAUSE) I see here you are 64 is that correct? GREAT. I also see you live at 1234 Main Street correct? Great.

Well Mary anytime someone in your area mails these cards back, I am the guy they go to. I still do it the old fashion way and go out and see 10-12 people in your area each day and get this information out they requested. It takes about 4-5 minutes and I hate coming by unannounced, so what time tomorrow will you be around for about 4-5 minutes?

2 oclock works for me. Now Mary again my name is Ben and I will be driving a blue truck so you will know it is me when I get there. Will I be looking for a house/trailer/or apartment? Great I will see you tomorrow around 2.

Have a blessed day.

I agree with not scheduling more than 1 day out. I don't agree with needing to buy a script on appointment setting though.

It is so simple...the agents I see fail is because they are making it more complicated.

Hey is this Mary? Hey Mary, this is Ben how are you doing? (What is important here is relating to them if something comes up) If they say I'm doing alright, just about to burn up in this heat though. Or doing good I just got in from working in the garden, etc....I actually talk to them about it. "Mary I know about that heat! It has been rough. I was out in it yesterday cutting the grass for my dad or blah blah" BECOME LIKABLE if possible during this part.

Then continue...."Well Mary the reason I am calling you is because my company mailed out a little postcard to your house and you were kind enough to read it, fill it out and mail it back, (DO NOT PAUSE) and I just need to verify the information YOU put on the card. (DO NOT PAUSE) I see here you are 64 is that correct? GREAT. I also see you live at 1234 Main Street correct? Great.

Well Mary anytime someone in your area mails these cards back, I am the guy they go to. I still do it the old fashion way and go out and see 10-12 people in your area each day and get this information out they requested. It takes about 4-5 minutes and I hate coming by unannounced, so what time tomorrow will you be around for about 4-5 minutes?

2 oclock works for me. Now Mary again my name is Ben and I will be driving a blue truck so you will know it is me when I get there. Will I be looking for a house/trailer/or apartment? Great I will see you tomorrow around 2.

Have a blessed day.

I agree with bboman, just get to the point and set the appt. Most I set outside one day flake so I have a series of other leads in the area to work as well. In addition, I qualify them, asking about Tricare, ChampsVa, and Medicaid since I'm a Medicare expert for Med supp.

Timing-I always say 15 minutes.

I have never engaged someone, much less had them buy, in 4-5 minutes-so be reasonable. They call me on this later, and tease me about it too, if I have created a good rapport, after 30 mins or so.

Never ever call them back to confirm-or say you are running late-they will seize that opportunity to cancel.

However, be on time. I hate waiting for someone who has initiated an appointment time with me. Makes me think of the cable guy, and his two hour-maybe?-window, ugh.

If they want you there, they will expect you to be on time. If they are avoiding you, then it doesn't matter if you're late, they won't be there anyway. :yes:

I agree with not scheduling more than 1 day out. I don't agree with needing to buy a script on appointment setting though. It is so simple...the agents I see fail is because they are making it more complicated. Hey is this Mary? Hey Mary, this is Ben how are you doing? (What is important here is relating to them if something comes up) If they say I'm doing alright, just about to burn up in this heat though. Or doing good I just got in from working in the garden, etc....I actually talk to them about it. "Mary I know about that heat! It has been rough. I was out in it yesterday cutting the grass for my dad or blah blah" BECOME LIKABLE if possible during this part. Then continue...."Well Mary the reason I am calling you is because my company mailed out a little postcard to your house and you were kind enough to read it, fill it out and mail it back, (DO NOT PAUSE) and I just need to verify the information YOU put on the card. (DO NOT PAUSE) I see here you are 64 is that correct? GREAT. I also see you live at 1234 Main Street correct? Great. Well Mary anytime someone in your area mails these cards back, I am the guy they go to. I still do it the old fashion way and go out and see 10-12 people in your area each day and get this information out they requested. It takes about 4-5 minutes and I hate coming by unannounced, so what time tomorrow will you be around for about 4-5 minutes? 2 oclock works for me. Now Mary again my name is Ben and I will be driving a blue truck so you will know it is me when I get there. Will I be looking for a house/trailer/or apartment? Great I will see you tomorrow around 2. Have a blessed day.

That is so southern, try having that conversation in NYC, it's a lot tougher, people are so guarded, you can't sweet talk them, they will be all over you. Hey what's this about?

That is so southern, try having that conversation in NYC, it's a lot tougher, people are so guarded, you can't sweet talk them, they will be all over you. Hey what's this about?

I have sold face to face in more states than any other agent I've ever met. It don't only work in the south, trust me.

----------

I agree with bboman, just get to the point and set the appt. Most I set outside one day flake so I have a series of other leads in the area to work as well. In addition, I qualify them, asking about Tricare, ChampsVa, and Medicaid since I'm a Medicare expert for Med supp.

Timing-I always say 15 minutes.

I have never engaged someone, much less had them buy, in 4-5 minutes-so be reasonable. They call me on this later, and tease me about it too, if I have created a good rapport, after 30 mins or so.

Never ever call them back to confirm-or say you are running late-they will seize that opportunity to cancel.

However, be on time. I hate waiting for someone who has initiated an appointment time with me. Makes me think of the cable guy, and his two hour-maybe?-window, ugh.

If they want you there, they will expect you to be on time. If they are avoiding you, then it doesn't matter if you're late, they won't be there anyway. :yes:

It usually takes 4 to 5 minutes. If they don't have a why, I leave. That happens in 4 to 5 minutes. Anything after that is because we found a need and they WANT me there. They wanna see a price etc.

Back