Imerica Health Insurance in Receivership

I got a lot of my contracts from one imo (a good bunch of folks) and my contracts are direct. But, they gave me an imerica appointment and I didn't want it. I didn't fill out any paperwork for them.
I guess that goes to show what kind of an outfit imerica is. They handed out appointments when agents backs were turned.
I am ashamed that that thing is in my list of carriers on the doi site.

Does anybody know anything about Celtic? They are a B++ but that is a notch lower than I am willing to go.
Just curious.

Last edited:
Celtic has virtually nothing to offer in my state that I can't get from another carrier with a brand name. Other than that they are a decent carrier.

Re: Imerica Health Insurance

The situation with Imerica is the same as I had with Mega a few weeks ago. Client purchased Aetna online then when checked status a few days later I noticed application had been withdrawn. Called client and she said a nice Mega man had come out to see her and spent time personalizing a plan that was better and less expensive for her.

I of course knew the only way the agent could have done that was to strip essential riders. I encouraged client to research Mega on google. She called me back and said she found just as much good info as bad on Mega on google. I gave a rebuttal she said she was going into a building and would call me back and she never did.

John is right; you cant fix stupid. With all the evidence in front of them some clients will simply believe the friendly neighborhood Mega or any other 3rd tier salesman that came out to see them.

11 years in, that kind of thing is still bothersome.
It is hard for a knowledgeable, rational thinking person to accept a lost client such as this. Sometimes they come back to you. As we know the Mega gal will learn, as she must, the hard way. But again, it truly is a numbers game. You can do everything exactly right, but over the course of 100 or say 1000 presentations one will encounter a certain number of stupids. Unfortunately. Let's face it? There is a segment of this inductry that goes after the dummy dollar?
For her sake she was at least nice looking I hope?

Dear Agents,

Instead of complaining about stupid customers and how any clear thinking person can see that iMerica is one of the worst companies in the history of insurance you could use this influx of potential clients to point people at a few threads discussing what to look for in insurance and how to find a good agent. Some of us are not in the insurance industry and frankly why would we need an agent for much more than filling out the forms if we knew everything about your industry.

In my family's situation we do not want the heavy benefits of a high-cost plan but instead are looking for something that allows us to have negotiated rates with catastrophic coverage. After some years of having our catastrophic insurance and doing cash with regular stuff we got tired of doctors only providing us their high 'normal' rates when we talk about paying cash hence the iMerica plan. Frankly iMerica was saving us some decent money as their rates were much cheaper than what we were paying before through my current contract's group policy. For the record the premium is/was half and the negotiated rates were cheaper than our previous UnitedHealth policy.

Good day.

In my family's situation we do not want the heavy benefits of a high-cost plan but instead are looking for something that allows us to have negotiated rates with catastrophic coverage.

I have those...call me 512-260-0856 Scott

why would we need an agent for much more than filling out the forms if we knew everything about your industry.

If one is TRULY that knowledgeable, then you are correct. They don't need an agent. They can not only craft an application that will sail through underwriting, but know exactly who to call and how to handle any service situation that will most surely arise in the future.

Problem is, I have never met anyone like that. Do these folks really exist?

As far as your Imerica coverage being cheap, well there is a reason for that. And that is exactly why they are in receivership.

If you spent years buying high priced plans that did not deliver value, then you clearly are not as knowledgeable as you claim.

I meet a lot more folks like that than those who really do know it all and don't need my services.

True...anyone can fill out an application and get approved...BUT....do they know the history of the company and how policy is written and how they set up contracts to get out of paying claims....that is why my clients rely on me is to find plans that have as few holes as humanly possible...as well as help them appeal denials to get claims paid...that is why you need an agent that knows the market....

If one is TRULY that knowledgeable, then you are correct. They don't need an agent. They can not only craft an application that will sail through underwriting, but know exactly who to call and how to handle any service situation that will most surely arise in the future.

If you spent years buying high priced plans that did not deliver value, then you clearly are not as knowledgeable as you claim.

If this is directed at me I was not claiming anything but instead making an observation.

I think the main point was missed, traffic to this post is way up. Use that as an opportunity to draw people to you, not repel. I'm a small business personal as well and the opportunity has presented itself to you with hurt clients that are licking their wounds looking for answers now. Although this site is directed at agents and not individuals the iMerica situation is now offering the opportunity for clients to come right up to your internet door, leverage that as an opportunity to assist them. I have an agent I like and I chose iMerica based on the options he presented, call me stupid...you know you want to :D

I could draw this out for some of you but the more client building among you will 'get it.' In the future use wording in posts that show how you help clients, not talk about what idiots they are. In the event company xyz fails again in the future your posts might be looked on with respect and people will call you based on your signature line instead of moving on to something/someone else. We all deal with frustration in our industries but I constantly structure my online behavior in a way that if any client ever came across one of my posts they would know I am consistent in my behavior of helping them.

anyone can fill out an application and get approved

Not necessarily.

Most of the folks I talk to have no clue how to go about filling out an app to get the best offer.

Real questions . . .

Do I need to answer "yes" to sleep apnea since I am not taking any medication? It's like I am being treated.

I only smoke once in a while, about a pack every two months. I shouldn't have to pay smoker rates.

I am just a little overweight.

I don't have high blood pressure since I take medication.

I don't need a plan that covers medication since I never get sick.

I only need a hospital plan since I don't plan on getting sick, but if I did it only needs to cover the hospital bill.

I think my condition was misdiagnosed, so I am not going to put it on the application.

How will they find out if I am lying on the app or not?

itself to you with hurt clients that are licking their wounds looking for answers now...... I have an agent I like and I chose iMerica based on the options he presented, call me stupid...you know you want to.

If your agent was worth his weight in salt he would have never given you the Imerica options...I do not berate people for buying this plan but rather the agents that sold it for the big advances and trips....I never thought the company was stable and did not like the way it was written...thats why I did not present it to my clients....

Last edited:
Back