In need of a Mentor

Most carriers want to see a track record to let you sign with them directly. If you are looking to become a P&C agent and not work under another agent, then it is liking starting your own business. You need an office, you need to be licensed, you need office equipment, etc. If you are serious about becoming an agent, This is what companies are going to want to see, captive or independent. You cannot just work out of a car dealership, the owner would have to be licensed and have an office set-up for insurance. You might want to consider working for a broker who will let you work outside the office, maybe with a laptop. Then you can still work at the car dealership, if you like it, then you can put a business plan together and you'll need some cash ( or a loan), and start looking to get with some carriers or get with a captive co. (allstate, statefarm, nationwide). Hope this helps

And your comment about the customer always going for the lowest rate, this may be true most of the time ,but, assessing a customers insurance needs is not about giving them just the lowest rate, it's about providing them with the proper liability limits. That's the job of an insurance agent.

Here is my $.02 from the eyes of a consumer.

If you are at a car dealership, chances are within 3 minutes of that dealer there are about 4 P&C offices (or more). I would be willing to bet that they too are putting their cards at the dealership.

I own a home. I am not going to insure my autos and home with different carriers when I can save with it all under one carrier. If you give me decent auto rates and my homeowners goes up because I dropped my cars, then I would not change.

I also like to deal with professionals. If I am going to shop for new insurance, I will probably call around to different agencies, or stop in when I am out and about. I do not think anyone is going to stop by an agent's house to get a quote.

You could try to get set up with an outfit like insurancenoodle or one of the other aggregaters. But I just can't see being able to sell car insurance from anywhere but an office. Besides, part of the beauty of home and car insurance is the service when someone needs to add a new car, schedule a piece of jewlery, remove a car, get quotes for a 2008 Shelby Mustang they are giving their daughter for her sweet 16. Many times people want to come in and look at options.

I can see paying a car salesmen referral fees but the majority of the people you want to insure already have car insurance so they will call their current agent when buying a car from your car salesmen buddy.

Your best bet to start in the P&C business is to become an agent for an established agency. They'll take a cut of your commission but you'll be able to sell P&C insurance.

I sincerly appreaciate the input.

I am going to try and find a good place online to get my Life & Health license. Do you guys know of a good site? I think I will stick with Life & Health for now until I figure something out for P&C.

Can anyone tell me anything about getting appointed with good L&H carriers?

Also, Do you guys have suggestions as far as a business plan goes?

Finally, What are some of the best ways to go about getting leads?

Also, I am working out of a home office. How do I go about establishing an office suitable for for L&H sales? Im afraid it will be difficult for me to keep my job and still have a strong office presence throughout the day. Will a cell phone be suitable as my business line?

Creating and working from a home office is how alot of us L&H brokers operate. And, as long as your cell phone has a clear reception, it will work for you. Make sure you have an unlimited calling plan! Of course a second line with call forwarding is preferred.

If you are certain about getting into L&H, NewHealthStratgies had a good suggesstion...look into the IHIAA. Your learning curve will be greatly diminished and you will be eligble for significant deals on the tools of the trade.

Also, once appointed, many carriers hold webinars on product knowlwdge and processes.

Good luck in your career pursuit.

Last edited:
Also, I am working out of a home office. How do I go about establishing an office suitable for for L&H sales? Im afraid it will be difficult for me to keep my job and still have a strong office presence throughout the day. Will a cell phone be suitable as my business line?
You can speed up the learning curve by joining John's association. I think it would be money very well spent.

Independent Health Insurance Agent Association

Rick

Back