Individual Health Maternity Benefit in Texas

That's an outstanding question. A lot has to do with your DOI. For example, I asked Assurant why they don't offer all the maternity dedictuble for TX like they do in other states. They told me the Texas DOI wouldn't approve it. What? So the Texas DOI doesn't want clients to have 5 maternity deductible choices?

In CT they don't allow Assurant's condition specific deductibles. So bascially the CT DOI is saying "no - just decline people instead of offering them a higher deductible."

In NH Assurant can't rate increase more than 25%. Can't the client decide if they want to take a 50% rate increase over a decline? No - NH would like to make that decision for them.

In MI no carrier can rider for more that one year. Well...it would have been a three year rider but now it's a decline. Can a client choose between a three year rider or a decline? The MI DOI says no - they'll decide for them.

So go talk to your DOI.

That's an outstanding question. A lot has to do with your DOI. For example, I asked Assurant why they don't offer all the maternity dedictuble for TX like they do in other states. They told me the Texas DOI wouldn't approve it. What? So the Texas DOI doesn't want clients to have 5 maternity deductible choices?

In CT they don't allow Assurant's condition specific deductibles. So bascially the CT DOI is saying "no - just decline people instead of offering them a higher deductible."

In NH Assurant can't rate increase more than 25%. Can't the client decide if they want to take a 50% rate increase over a decline? No - NH would like to make that decision for them.

In MI no carrier can rider for more that one year. Well...it would have been a three year rider but now it's a decline. Can a client choose between a three year rider or a decline? The MI DOI says no - they'll decide for them.

So go talk to your DOI.

Thats insane.. This business just continues to suprise me every day!

There are many states that won't allow the Assurant 10% healthy discount.

Assurant: "We'd like to offer people a discount off their renewal."
Doi: "No."

Some states allow recurring credit card payments, others only allow the 1st payment by credit card, other don't allow any credit cards.

Assurant has list bill. The employer doesn't pay for the employee's coverage but it's common billing. Makes it easy for a small business.that doesn't offer group coverage. In some states any size business can offer it. But here in MD it has to be a group of 50 or more. So a business owner with 6 employees can't offer it? The DOI says no.

There are many states that won't allow the Assurant 10% healthy discount.

Assurant: "We'd like to offer people a discount off their renewal."
Doi: "No."

Some states allow recurring credit card payments, others only allow the 1st payment by credit card, other don't allow any credit cards.

Assurant has list bill. The employer doesn't pay for the employee's coverage but it's common billing. Makes it easy for a small business.that doesn't offer group coverage. In some states any size business can offer it. But here in MD it has to be a group of 50 or more. So a business owner with 6 employees can't offer it? The DOI says no.

In Wisconsin they won't even allow list bill, because of our DOI and liberal governor. And it's been pissing off agents, insurer's and small businesses since they changed it.

Back