Individual Mandate Ruled Unconstitutional

I can't wait until someone points out that it still has to go to the Supremes (Diana, Mary, et al) and until then "we win."

Of course, in about 6-12 months, that tune will change.

Rick

From the Washington Times

"Judge uses Obama’s words against him

In ruling against President Obama‘s health care law, federal Judge Roger Vinson used Mr. Obama‘s own position from the 2008 campaign against him, arguing that there are other ways to tackle health care short of requiring every American to purchase insurance.

“I note that in 2008, then-Senator Obama supported a health care reform proposal that did not include an individual mandate because he was at that time strongly opposed to the idea, stating that ‘if a mandate was the solution, we can try that to solve homelessness by mandating everybody to buy a house,’” Judge Vinson wrote in a footnote toward the end of the 78-page ruling Monday.

Judge uses Obama's words against him - Washington Times

You can't say it any better than that - poetic justice.
Who is this judge - I gotta' applaud him. :yes:

From the Washington Times

"Judge uses Obama’s words against him

In ruling against President Obama‘s health care law, federal Judge Roger Vinson used President Obama‘s own position from the 2008 campaign against him, arguing that there are other ways to tackle health care short of requiring every American to purchase insurance.

“I note that in 2008, then-Senator Obama supported a health care reform proposal that did not include an individual mandate because he was at that time strongly opposed to the idea, stating that ‘if a mandate was the solution, we can try that to solve homelessness by mandating everybody to buy a house,’” Judge Vinson wrote in a footnote toward the end of the 78-page ruling Monday.

Judge uses Obama's words against him - Washington Times

The Justice Dept has 30 days to file an appeal in US Court of Appeals in Atlanta. Appeals courts have a 12 member panel of judges. The current court in Atlanta only has 11 members, 6 appointed by Republican presidents, 5 by Democrat presidents.

After that, regardless of the outcome, it goes to the Supreme Court. Probably won't hit the Supreme Court until mid 2012 . . . right before the fall election.

Insane. If it stands this would mark the first time is our history that all citizens must buy a product...and a private product at that.

Like one person stated, the gov't gets to pick the winners and losers. Which companies will make millions and which won't be able to participate?

Currently no citizen has to buy anything....as in ANYTHING. This is not to say that health care isn't broke. It's about as broke as it can be. But this solution is a bit like mandating all of your family members to give your heroine-addicted son $500 a month to keep him off the streets.

Back