Insurance question about Chiropractor

Wait, so the insurance company paid you the $1500 to pay the chiropractor, you spent that money elsewhere and now you’re not sure if you should owe that chiropractor that money?

It sounds like it was never yours.

Wait, so the insurance company paid you the $1500 to pay the chiropractor, you spent that money elsewhere and now you’re not sure if you should owe that chiropractor that money?

It sounds like it was never yours.

That is a possibility, but upon checking the numbers the chiropractor charged $3,050 and the insurance company paid $2,000 and sent me a check for $1,500. So I am still unsure where the $1,500 figure came from and if I actually owe that exact amount to the chiropractor.

Seems like no one ever feels like they are being billed a "fair rate" when it comes to medical care.

You never bothered to ask about the cost of care before hand now you want to complain that you are being overcharged.

You owe the doc. Pay him. If you don't he will turn you over to collections and yes, it will impact your credit.

Paying a little each month and believing he won't turn you over to collections is fantasy.

Of course if you have no money and bad credit no harm, no foul.

Seems like no one ever feels like they are being billed a "fair rate" when it comes to medical care.

You never bothered to ask about the cost of care before hand now you want to complain that you are being overcharged.

You owe the doc. Pay him. If you don't he will turn you over to collections and yes, it will impact your credit.

Paying a little each month and believing he won't turn you over to collections is fantasy.

Of course if you have no money and bad credit no harm, no foul.

$200 a visit for what amounted to 5 minutes of adjustment is a ridiculous amount. I was in pain and looking for treatment. So my apologies for assuming a medical professional wouldn't try to take advantage of me. I can still complain about being overcharged. Asking someone to build a table for me, receiving the table, using the table, and then a year later being told the table costs $200,000 still leaves room for me to say, "Hey, don't you think that is way too high of a price for this table?"

I might owe the doctor but what I owe the doctor is up for debate. I have good credit and just because I don't have $1,500 at this very moment doesn't mean much considering most Americans don't even have $500 in their bank account.

I would say that is high. Most in our area charge about $60/visit... less if you pay cash. Regardless of paying for it or not....always find out the cost/charge.

My wife has seen a number of chiropractors over the years. Some are very attentive and take more time with the patient, some run an assembly line cranking the patients in and out. I know my wife has never gotten good results from the latter...

I might owe the doctor

Well either the doc treated you or he didn't.

If he didn't, you don't owe him a dime.

But if he did then he is definitely due every dime you have failed to pay him.

You are entitled to your own opinion of what the professional services are worth. But since you are trying to negotiate a year after the treatment you don't have a lot of leverage.

That great credit won't look so good once you are turned over to collections.

But go ahead and dig your heels in based on principle. Let us know how well that works out.

$200 a visit for what amounted to 5 minutes of adjustment is a ridiculous amount. I was in pain and looking for treatment. So my apologies for assuming a medical professional wouldn't try to take advantage of me. I can still complain about being overcharged. Asking someone to build a table for me, receiving the table, using the table, and then a year later being told the table costs $200,000 still leaves room for me to say, "Hey, don't you think that is way too high of a price for this table?"

I might owe the doctor but what I owe the doctor is up for debate. I have good credit and just because I don't have $1,500 at this very moment doesn't mean much considering most Americans don't even have $500 in their bank account.
Yeah.. and my electrician charges $100 for a five minute house call even though all he has to do is flip a breaker. As he says, it is $25 for flipping the breaker and $75 for knowing which one to flip....And, he doesn't have tons of student loans to pay off for learning which breaker to flip. Can say the same for your doctor and his knowing which "adjustment" to make.. BTW, my electrician also does not pay any staff or maintain an office.

I would say that is high. Most in our area charge about $60/visit... less if you pay cash. Regardless of paying for it or not....always find out the cost/charge.

My wife has seen a number of chiropractors over the years. Some are very attentive and take more time with the patient, some run an assembly line cranking the patients in and out. I know my wife has never gotten good results from the latter...

Absolutely, and now I know better. I've been to a lot of chiropractors throughout my life and I should have known something was up. Definitely an oversight on my part and I'll have to eat the cost and hopefully never repeat this mistake.

I might owe the doctor

Well either the doc treated you or he didn't.

If he didn't, you don't owe him a dime.

But if he did then he is definitely due every dime you have failed to pay him.

You are entitled to your own opinion of what the professional services are worth. But since you are trying to negotiate a year after the treatment you don't have a lot of leverage.

That great credit won't look so good once you are turned over to collections.

But go ahead and dig your heels in based on principle. Let us know how well that works out.

The doctor definitely treated me, and I do owe the doctor something and after I receive the itemized bill I'll see if there is room for negotiation. No harm in trying!

Back