Introduction - Young Captive, 7 Months in

CS Wahoo

This is my second official post and I figured it'd be good to introduce myself since I read a lot on here. I've been working as a captive agent in VA. I graduated college as a government major and worked a couple of state level campaigns, made some contacts with agents in insurance, and started studying to get my licenses. The job market was a little tough, but I landed a position with a captive in a rural area.

There are pros and cons to my situation, so I'll start with the cons. My sales manager is in and out of the office, so I don't receive quite the amount of mentoring like I thought I would. I do about 75% service work and 25% sales. It can be frustrating at times not having the support for real-life scenarios that occur in contrast to the all-things-constant type training I've received. My principal agent has made a push for me to go and prospect more with businesses, but that's about the extent of the advice. I don't mind doing this, but I literally know nothing about commercial insurance.

There are a lot of pros to my situation though. I have access to training which is essentially free aside from gas money. I didn't have to pay for a desk, computer, e&o, or anything like that. There is a large amount of leniency when it comes to taking time to go and prospect. I love selling, meeting with people, and applying the information that I have gained from self-study. It's the best job I've ever had and I'm hungry.

I've already used a lot of information from the people on this board and I look forward to learning a lot more. I welcome all advice and/or criticisms.

Last edited:
As tins said, welcome to the forum. Tons of info and help here.

I am in the health ins. biz., not sure what u are in but have you tried cold calling off a list? That is what I do most of the time and i am making a living and building up my residuals.

I cater to the small biz owner/ self employed and there are several places you can buy "leads" or "lists", whatever u want to call it from, on the internet and on here as well...no matter what u are selling and who ur target market is.

Good luck my friend!

As tins said, welcome to the forum. Tons of info and help here.

I am in the health ins. biz., not sure what u are in but have you tried cold calling off a list? That is what I do most of the time and i am making a living and building up my residuals.

I cater to the small biz owner/ self employed and there are several places you can buy "leads" or "lists", whatever u want to call it from, on the internet and on here as well...no matter what u are selling and who ur target market is.

Good luck my friend!

Thanks for the reply. I am P&C and Life. Eventually they'll be pushing me more to go commercial. I've begun cold calling but haven't quite hit my stride as my cold calls have been for P&C. Usually started with a mailer and follow up door knock.

Last edited:
Perhaps try and find out a type of business or two that the company you represent is especially competitive (i.e. doctors/dentists offices or laundramats etc...) and focus your canvassing there to start. Good luck.

Perhaps try and find out a type of business or two that the company you represent is especially competitive (i.e. doctors/dentists offices or laundramats etc...) and focus your canvassing there to start. Good luck.

Thank you for the advice. We have out preferred markets and I've been using that as part of my pitch. Trying to dislodge people who've been with the same agents for a long time is something I need to work on.

Try and figure out something to do for your prospective clients that their current agent isn't doing-bring value and be remembered.... FYI I specialize in personal lines p&c and I let all prospective clients know I'm an expert in my state's motor vehicle forms and rules. "I'll even fill-out all the forms for you so you'll be all set when you get to the dmv. This is a service I provide free of charge to all my clients". Give service/information = get clients.

Back