Is Aflac worth working for?

LOL. Just speaking from experience on that one!

I was literally talking about this just last week to my significant other. Pretty sure I used that exact phrase then too.

Dont get me started on just the overall need of their main products vs. other products that most people do not have already. The main products agents are told to push are Accident/HI/Dental/Vision/Cancer. "Does the employee have adequate life or di?? Who gives af?! Those products arent competitive so we dont push those hard!"

Aflac has sold countless supp policies to low income workers, taking away valuable dollars that could/should have been used to purchase basic Disability & Life Insurance.

The cancer policy isnt/wasnt that bad of a product, assuming you have all your other insurance in line already, which most people they enrolled did not.
Interesting. With Colonial, I would always lead with DI unless I was talking to someone with no life insurance, then I led with life. The policies I sold most were DI and Cancer with life trailing behind in 3rd place. I don’t remember Colonial pressing us to push a particular product.

I do remember that our DI included on the job injury, so 24 hour on or off job coverage. Whereas the AFLAC agents I knew told me their DI only covered off the job. I don’t know whether that’s still true. (I stopped writing Colonial in 1999.)

:shocked:... you must have taken your insurance exam with Louis on stone tablets. ;)
Well, I’m a little younger than Louis. So we used cuneiform. Filling out those clay apps was a real pain! If you wrote up the whole family, you’d throw your back out lugging the apps back to your chariot. Then, you needed a warehouse to store all your client files. So, I was super excited to go clayless when the first P-apps were introduced. Imagine the time and space savings you could gain by making scratches on thin sheets of papyrus! It revolutionized my practice! :1biggrin:

Not clay tablet old but underwriters used to have to go into a vault to pull up a rate chart lol... not so long ago. Respectively I would love to see a millennial have the patience for that :D

Aflac adds dental and vision insurance

This is the first time the supplemental insurance provider has expanded into offering products based on a provider network.
“With this national expansion into network dental and vision, Aflac is offering employers and consumers an expanded value proposition, while providing our associates and broker partners the tools they need to bring the most comprehensive set of products to a very competitive marketplace,”
said Rich Williams, president of group benefits.

I dont understand what is attractive about working FOR these giant insurance mills. Imo you'd be better off finding some textile factory or such to work in vs that

I dont understand what is attractive about working FOR these giant insurance mills. Imo you'd be better off finding some textile factory or such to work in vs that

You don't have to work FOR places like Aflac. Aflac let's you carry them and other carriers.

I get emails all the time asking to add their products to my offering.

However, there are some benefits working for a captive sales company.

When I worked for Monumental Life, which running a debit route SUCKS, imo. I was paid a salary, had a manager spend amount 3 weeks with me on the road, has insurance benefits and retirement.

The downside is chasing people for premium. Having huge amounts of cash on hand in reapply poor neighborhoods. Having to do mouth swabs and carry urine samples. Going into really poor homes that were not clean.

All so guy could pay $15 a month for his 3k life insurance policy that he'd want to cash in when he couldn't afford food.

God love people that want to do F2F in poor communities. I'm just not great with it.

You don't have to work FOR places like Aflac. Aflac let's you carry them and other carriers.

I get emails all the time asking to add their products to my offering.

However, there are some benefits working for a captive sales company.

When I worked for Monumental Life, which running a debit route SUCKS, imo. I was paid a salary, had a manager spend amount 3 weeks with me on the road, has insurance benefits and retirement.

The downside is chasing people for premium. Having huge amounts of cash on hand in reapply poor neighborhoods. Having to do mouth swabs and carry urine samples. Going into really poor homes that were not clean.

All so guy could pay $15 a month for his 3k life insurance policy that he'd want to cash in when he couldn't afford food.

God love people that want to do F2F in poor communities. I'm just not great with it.
But this thread is about a guy asking about working at an aflac agency, which is really different then just being appointed to be able to offer their policies. Hes talking about splitting his commission with someone one up above him almost 50/50, when that number is already getting what I would thing would be at least 2 more overrides above that. And then they have the audacity to hold you to "production" standards etc., as if you wernt good enough to give them free money unless it was at a certain dollar amount. Unreal. But to each his own

I love it, and consider it a calling. It’s not for everyone, or even for very many. But doing it as part of my independent practice is radically different from doing it as a captive employee.

Back