Is an SOA really required for this situation?

axeman462

Guru
1000 Post Club
Florida
Had a customer email me this morning stating that he wanted to be switched to a specific plan.
He already did all the research, and stated that I can email him the application to be signed.

Is an SOA really required for a situation like this? Wouldn't the emails be enough proof?

Had a customer email me this morning stating that he wanted to be switched to a specific plan.
He already did all the research, and stated that I can email him the application to be signed.

Is an SOA really required for a situation like this? Wouldn't the emails be enough proof?

Yes, you'll need the SOA, since you're still directly helping him with the enrollment & you'll have to do the recorded presentation. However, if you use PlanEnroll or have another similar PURL website that he can use to self-enroll, you won't have to do the SOA or the presentation.

If someone calls me and wants me to send them an application for a certain plan, I am more than happy to oblige, I presented nothing, I don't need a scope or anything else.

I just don't even see why you would do this, rule or no rule, because your name and NPN is going on that application. They can always complain on you to CMS or the carrier about what you didn't tell them. I just wouldn't take those chances. At least I got a better shot if I try to explain things to them. I had a client just today telling me that he wanted a plan with another company until I explained to him what he would be losing. He then changed his mind. The clients trust us as the experts and to tell them stuff that they don't know to ask.

Last edited:
I agree with Tscholar....not worth the risk to the agent. If you lack the time or otherwise can't be bothered, send them direct to medicare.gov or the plan website to self-enroll. The only way to be "safe" is keep your name off the app and forgo comp.

The endgame as I see it with Part D is coming. If out-of-pocket costs will soon be limited to $2,000 a year, it won't make much difference what plan you have. Even now, between reinstatement of 48 hr. SOA rule and recorded calls, who has time for 300 client reviews in AEP plus writing new business?

On Deck: Looking into Certified Insurance Counselor designation and licensing. Move to fee structure on anything related to Part C and D, no commissions. I've already been approached by one financial planning firm on this idea.

So many stupid government rules (stupid government and stupid rules). And then they make no legitimate effort to enforce the rules upon the most flagrant of the violators -- I get all those robo calls trying to sell me a Medicare advantage because the government doesn't enforce it's own laws. I'm on the no-call list (a federal law about telephone solicitation in general), plus there are the federal laws related to cold-calling people about Medicare Advantage, and the disgusting pigs who run and work for the federal government absolutely refuse to enforce those laws. The government should start suspending the big players (Aetna, UHC, Humana, etc.) for a year like they used to do a decade ago, and then see how fast those robo calls end. Start going after the individual agents benefitting from those robo calls with major fines and banning them from anything to do with Medicare/Medicaid, basically putting them out of business, and maybe then these rules would at least seem "fair." As it is, the scope of appointment rules are simply harassment of honest agents.

Last edited:
Back