Is Christmas time a feast or famine?

I sold about 13k AP today alone. Probably another 3k tomorrow...and here I was cooling my jets until the new year. Think I'm gonna kick it up a notch or two now!

Mainly health, some life. The 13k was a group conversion to indiv. HSAs. And an individial plan from a referral.

Tomorrow is a small office of an existing client who will be adding their employees to some level of coverage. I'd say 3-4k AP is what to expect there...

And I forgot about a Medicare Ad. plan in the afternoon (not something I usually do...she has multiple sclerosis) and I don't generally do senior stuff, but Humana actually gave me this referral! Pretty nice of them. Oh, I wrote another MA plan (she has congestive heart failure) yesterday. I'm writing her daughter next week, too. So far, December has been a kick ass month...

And oh, another prospect I've been trying to get in front of for months, who I basically had given up on, emailed me tonight out of the BLUE and wants to meet me on Monday for an HSA.

It's weird...I have always had slow months in December...this one is working out nicely!

I only work in the senior market but December has consistently been one of my best months of the year for selling Med Supps. Maybe because other senior agents assume that it isn't going to be good so they don't spend the time prospecting.

I believe the best time to sell Med Supps is when I'm awake. :D

Don't get discouraged by January put-offs. Last December, I was calling on mainly group coverage and I had many businesses say call "after the 1st." I put them down for follow-up and guess what, I was busy in January from my December prospecting. About half were just blowing me off, but the other half set up meetings. Especially if you're new, prospect like there is no tommorow, otherwise, there may not be.

Don't get discouraged by January put-offs. Last December, I was calling on mainly group coverage and I had many businesses say call "after the 1st." I put them down for follow-up and guess what, I was busy in January from my December prospecting. About half were just blowing me off, but the other half set up meetings. Especially if you're new, prospect like there is no tommorow, otherwise, there may not be.

Good point man. I have noticed a decrease in appointments these past weeks, but my lead flow hasn't changed much. Work your tail off until Christmas, take a week off and get back on the bandwagon January.

When I did group health December was busy until about mid month then things slowed dramatically. But I am noticing that the life market is slow this time of year. I'm getting appointments but most people want to wait until the first of the year to do anything. I'm viewing it as planting seeds. I'll have lots of people to call in January.

This is my first holiday season in the business. Does business always just draaaag during the Christmas season?

A lot of people I talk to tell me, "we will talk after the first of the year" or "maybe the beginning of next year."

Many of my appointments end up with "we want to get that policy, but money will be too tight until the beginning of the year."

Is there any way I can over come this?
I'm sure I can say something like, "Providing gifts for Christmas is great, but isn't providing for your family in the long term more important." I haven't used this, but I have a feeling it wouldn't make any difference and maybe even be offensive to some.

So, is this time of year always slow?

Does it actually get better the first of the year, or is it just a convenient "put-off?"

I'm trying to look at myself like a farmer: Planting the seeds now to be harvested in January. Am I setting myself up for disappointment?
" We'll talk after the first of the year or next year?" This is the polite way of saying SEE YA! They might as well be saying, "See ya next year, the year after, next decade, next millenium. These are people that thought it was a good idea to get insured until they realized it cost money.:nah:

" We'll talk after the first of the year or next year?" This is the polite way of saying SEE YA! They might as well be saying, "See ya next year, the year after, next decade, next millenium. These are people that thought it was a good idea to get insured until they realized it cost money.:nah:

That also tells you that you did not create enough interest with the prospect if you're getting that response.

If they say we'll talk after the first of the year simply respond with this,

"Joe, Jan (whomever), there are some new plans that have been designed specifically for small business owners that are 25%-40% less than the typical plans on the market. These plans allow families to pay their health care costs with pre-tax dollars, which will increase your bottom line and put money in your pocket and not the insurance carrier. But in order to take advantage of this opportunity we need to get together for 10 minutes to discuss your situation because the tax deadline is coming up at the end of the year.

Give me 10 minutes of your time so I can SHOW you how to increase your bottom line. If we talk any longer it's because you want me their.

If they say no, move on their is no interest at all right now. If not, set up a phone appointment or face to face meeting. Just make sure you verify the appointment first.

Dig the season, they will be there after the holidays. I love December , close some business and set them up for Jan. Happy holidays!

Back