Is High Deductible Plan F the Best

You (Junkman) are correct. My point is that the refunds have been coming year after year and represent a significant percentage of the premium. This last refund was 60% of the original premium.

The refund history can be a significant factor in choosing a policy.

Seems a poor strategy to intentionally over pay hoping for a refund. There are likely stable lower cost carriers in your area. Carriers with similar insured blocks have similar claims. Intentionally over estimating claims would make them uncompetitive. You can't estimate claims if the carrier can't.

Look at current rate schedule to make sure carrier doesn't low ball early ages and lock in enrollees.

They had the best available rates here in rural NH. It is an issue-age policy. I was going to switch to plan-F figuring that I was not saving enough money to justify the extra risk. Then I got my first refund check. I assume the high-deductible plan attracts a healthier pool.

I realize that the refunds depend on the claim experience, but that's also true of future premium increases. I am very happy how this turned out.

Perhaps I missed it, but the link provided by Alston discusses reporting requirements, the "85% rule" (which applies to fully insured group health plans, not individual plans), and this.

The statute imposes several levels of sanctions for failure to meet the minimum MLR requirement, including remittance of funds to CMS, a prohibition on enrolling new members, and ultimately contract termination.

How many MA/PDP plans failed the MLR testing and had to issue a refund to CMS? How many were sanctioned or had their contracts terminated?

I suspect this is more govt bureaucracy and added expense that results in nothing.

As for the MLR refunds on Obamacare plans, the calculation applied to plans beginning in 2011 and the refund would be paid in 2012. Some carriers did have "excess margins" and issued rebates to policyholders on a pro-rata basis. Refunds were calculated based on premiums paid and had no direct relationship to plan deductibles, OOP, etc. I had clients who received rebates from a few of the carriers. Most of them got less than $50 but a few received several hundred dollars . . . enough to offset almost a months premium.

I don't believe any of my clients received rebates after 2012.

And I see nothing that says MLR extends to Medigap plans. Nor does MLR apply to cancer, hospital indemnity or accident plans. All of those, including Medigap, are secondary payers.

In the individual market any rebate accrues to the policyholder (except perhaps in the subsidized plans). From the link above it appears any excess goes back to CMS.

MLR rebates are much like life insurance par contracts. A carrier charges more than is needed to cover the risk and refunds any excess in the form of a non-taxable dividend.

Obamacare has not lowered the cost of health insurance except for low income people who, by DC definition, could not afford the new plans. The almost complete abandonment of the under 65 market by carriers certainly has done nothing to benefit the consumer.

As many agents as are represented on this site, covering almost every state in the union, makes it surprising that not a single one has ever had a policyholder client receive an MLR rebate on their Medicare supplement plan.

Pretty amazing, don't you think?

https://fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/R42735.pdf

First paragraph on page 5 of that document seems to indicate there is an MLR requirement for Medigap plans.

----------

Page 78 of "Maximize Your Medicare"
"""
As of August 2012, insurance companies have been required to issue refunds if claims did not represent a ratio of premiums (less regulatory costs).
"""

I do not have an easy way to prove that this requirement was part of ACA. Perhaps I am mistaken about that.

The rebates are real!

(From the rebate check explanation: "Based on this year's review of your Medicare Supplement policy, we are refunding a portion of the premium you have paid. ..."
)

----------

I am apparently too new to be allowed topost a link. I tried to link to CMS.gov.

You can do google search for:
medical loss ratio premium refunds august 2012

The title of that cms.gov page is: Medical Loss Ratio: Getting Your Money's Worth on Health Insurance

Quoting from the cms.gov page:

Thanks to the Affordable Care Act, consumers will receive more value for their premium dollar because insurance companies will be required to spend 80 to 85 percent of premium dollars on medical care and health care quality improvement, rather than on administrative costs, starting in 2011. If they don’t, the insurance companies will be required to provide a rebate to their customers starting in 2012.

(It is amazing to see how any mention of ACA can generate such unkind responses.)

It may go back to different legislation.

https://oig.hhs.gov/oei/reports/oei-09-93-00230.pdf

First appendix page in doct above--heading and 4th bullet.

I can't get this related to more current articles to be sure that it is still in effect.

My agent was unaware of my refunds and was surprised to learn about the size of the refund relative to the premium.

Back