Is it illegal for licensed insurance agents to process cancer screening test?

Past couple of years? Really? Medicare only started approving the DNA Hereditary Medically Cancer Screenings March 2018.

I know an agent who was affiliated with a company out of FL who claimed to be doing this for "years." And her "upline" was a nurse practitioner who claimed to be doing 20 + swabs weekly at health fairs. This may have been part of the whole scam, to get people to enroll thinking they were going to make big $$$.

Of course, they also said they had three attorneys on staff, and a former CMS employee/expert who said it was all kosher...

3 generations of different types make the test a medical necessity.

Medicare, for example, defines medically necessary as: “Services or supplies that are needed for the diagnosis or treatment of your medical condition and meet accepted standards of medical practice.”

Medical necessity refers to a decision by your health plan that your treatment, test, or procedure is necessary for your health or to treat a diagnosed medical problem.
Medical Necessity Definition in Health Insurance

The Social Security Act defines "medically necessary" in terms of what Medicare will pay for: "No Medicare payment may be made for any expenses which are not reasonable and necessary for the diagnosis or treatment of illness or injury or to improve the functioning of a malformed body member."
Medical Necessity and the Law - FindLaw

Medical necessity is further defined at the state level . . .

Medicare defines "medical necessity" as services or items reasonable and necessary for the diagnosis or treatment of illness or injury or to improve the functioning of a malformed body member.

The following is an example of a State Statute (California) on medical necessity:

Cal Wel & Inst Code § 14059.5. "Medically necessary" or "medical necessity"

A service is "medically necessary" or a "medical necessity" when it is reasonable and necessary to protect life, to prevent significant illness or significant disability, or to alleviate severe pain.
Medical Necessity Law and Legal Definition | USLegal, Inc.

This will eventually rival the "Anyone Going to the Dayum NAAAAA Conference" and the "Bacon is for Losers" thread.

Perhaps I have missed it, but one of the dangers in promoting this "free" DNA test is tantamount to telling a client their (legitimate but maybe not necessary) claim will be paid.

If a client asks if "this" or "that" is covered I NEVER say "yes". The answer is "could be" or "might be". Depends on how the claim is coded and the documentation.

I don't care how much money is in it for the agent, but I can think of easier ways to make money legitimately than this.

The screenings are for medicare pateints, age 65 and up kostly..not the types to get 500k life insurance policy.

Unless one is too agressive and manipulative, the testing for now is fine. How else will anybody know about these tests, i went to my famiky dr..she never heard of testing.

Let's see.

This

or the Gordie Girls?

Oh yeah. Tough choice . . .

NOT!

I just caught a nice Easter buzzz and was "rocking out" to some more Gordon Girls dance videos. I thought that it only fitting to share these with the Forum. Really makes me want to put all my contracts with the Gordon Girls. They seem really cool. I wonder if they smoke pot. :cool:

Back