Is It Illegal?

SJB

I am working from home for a broker who sells health care insurance and final expense ins, is it illegal for me as a appointment setter to ask health questions and what med's ,the people I talk to on the phone? I am not licensed, the company and the broker is in TX.

I have been told it could be.

Please clear this up for me I would like to know ASAP, I just started this job.:nah:

You ran not presenting policy benefits however you are getting close regarding hippa...when you say health care and fe this is not ma plans is it? Advantage plans or is med sups?

With that answer we can give better guidance

Are you recommending any type of insurance products?

Medicare,. to taterpeeler
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
He does want me to quote them a price if it is a savings to them. to Todd King
He does not have me recommend any products. HoosierLife

Last edited:
I'm not positive on the health questions, but I don't think it is an issue.

Quoting prices is definately a no-no.

Why would it be illegal for you to ask things such as:

Do u use tobacco products?

What is ur height and weight?

Are u taking medications? If so, what and what for?

What is ur date of birth?

How does ur current plan work?

etc.,etc.,etc....

I suspect you will get paid to set qualified appointments and how are you gonna set those without getting the most basic, important info from the potential client for the agent you are working for?

As a side note: Like others have said....u cannot "talk" insurance with people, but you can surely set an appointment. That's what appointment setters are for. If anyone wants you to quote them or ask technical questions about this or that, you simply say...well _____, I will make sure "such and such" goes over that with you on x date (or whatever the agent that hired u recommended in regards to rebuttals/questions)

Just do ur job and let the agent do theirs. Hope this helps.
and a big CONGRATS for finding you a stay at home job. My first taste of insurance was setting appointments for other agents from home. Now that I am an agent, it's alot more rewarding.

Last edited:

My reason about asking the product was if is ma plans I feel you are violating the rules asking questions ...... Dut that's just me... Now that we know you are quoting prices... Boom, not legal... Of course in my view but I have only had my liscense for 20 years and am very conservative in my approach

If you are not licensed you cannot quote prices, do enrollments, or engage in any type of sales language. Some state even prevent you from policy interpretation.

To play it safe I always tell people you can ask information, but you cannot give any information.

Back