Is It Just Me or Are Today's Seniors Rude?

I think seniors have been burned and scammed so many times, that this is a very tough market to break into. I worked with Frank and admire and trust him, but when I was departing health insurance, this was NOT for me. I've placed a few supps over the years, but I found that senior after senior is just more than a little battle-weary and doesn't trust easily. Earning that trust isn't impossible, it's just very, very hard to do especially over the phone...when that phone is ringing constantly with other insurance agents non-descript douchebags calling them to sell them swampland etc.

More power to Frank and the people he's trained, but it takes a special breed of cat to play in this space. And I ain't that kinda cat!
I absolutely agree with you. And as far as a selling system goes Frank's is as good as it gets. What I am talking about is beyond Frank's or even Zig Zigler's control.

Just this a.m a lady was paying $400 for her med supp told her I could get her a plan for $140 if she could just answer a few health questions.

She said no I'm fine I'm staying where I'm at thank you good bye.

She doesn't trust you and don't see any reason to do business with you. She isn't stupid and she isn't rude, she just felt no reason to do business with you and wasn't going to waste any more of your time.

She doesn't trust you and don't see any reason to do business with you. She isn't stupid and she isn't rude, she just felt no reason to do business with you and wasn't going to waste any more of your time.
No reason to do business with me? $3000. per year savings is not a reason to at least "learn about" what I have to offer? I wasn't trying to sell it over the phone, just trying to give a quote and qualify her.

I agree with what some others have said about it all being about trust. Nothing is more frustrating than knowing you can help some same $$ for the same or better coverage and they don't do business with you just because......

With that said, once you get them as customers you can keep them as customers with good service and every other agent that is calling on your people will get the treatment you're getting now. May take a little longer to win them over, but once you do you can keep em!

I don't think as a group seniors are any crankier than any other group, but definitely more skeptical and resistant to change. Probably rightfully so.

No reason to do business with me? $3000. per year savings is not a reason to at least "learn about" what I have to offer? I wasn't trying to sell it over the phone, just trying to give a quote and qualify her.

You were saving her too much. Would you trust someone that said, "hey, I see you bought a brand new BMW last month for $40,000...if you give me your personal info, I can get you one for $15,000.

She most likely thinks you're getting her an inferior product or trying to rip her off. Try something more generic...."If there was a plan exactly like yours that saved you some money each month, would you be interested in looking in to changing?" or "It's like car insurance...sometimes you can qualify for identical coverage and actually have it cost less...would that be something you want to look in to?"

Most people have learned that when it sounds to good to be true....... there is more to the story.

You tell me that you will save me $3000 a year on any portion of my insurance, I simply will not believe you. You have no credibility. It's not how you say this, but either I've been stupid or you are lying. Assuming you are not lying, then I've been stupid. I don't want to admit that, therefore, you MUST be lying.

Then there is the fact that I already know I don't qualify for what you are selling, I don't want the bait and switch, I'll save my time.

People are sold all the time on what they will 'save'. Over time, people learn those savings really don't pan out as they were told they would. Be careful how you present this.

Dan

Most people have learned that when it sounds to good to be true....... there is more to the story.

You tell me that you will save me $3000 a year on any portion of my insurance, I simply will not believe you. You have no credibility. It's not how you say this, but either I've been stupid or you are lying. Assuming you are not lying, then I've been stupid. I don't want to admit that, therefore, you MUST be lying.

Then there is the fact that I already know I don't qualify for what you are selling, I don't want the bait and switch, I'll save my time.

People are sold all the time on what they will 'save'. Over time, people learn those savings really don't pan out as they were told they would. Be careful how you present this.

Dan
I was shocked that she was paying so much too!
If I was saving her too much money then I guess I could have lied and told her I could save her $1000 per year, but then again that might be too much. All med supps plans are the same the only difference is price. I quoted her Mutual of Omaha rates what senior has not heard of them? It's kinda hard to lie about the rates because I tell them exactly what it will cost them. The most expensive premium was F $211.00 still half of her current plan.

I was shocked that she was paying so much too!
If I was saving her too much money then I guess I could have lied and told her I could save her $1000 per year, but then again that might be too much. All med supps plans are the same the only difference is price. I quoted her Mutual of Omaha rates what senior has not heard of them? It's kinda hard to lie about the rates because I tell them exactly what it will cost them. The most expensive premium was F $211.00 still half of her current plan.

Maybe you called at the wrong time (not your fault). Just look at it this way.........this only shows there are people out there you can save money and will welcome it. My buddy asked a guy the other day if he could save him 10 bucks on his med sup would he be interested (guy was shopping for life insurance) and the guy was like "heck yeah"! See though, the guy was already shopping.

I've making calls for med supps and these seniors are just flat out rude. Not to mention they are stubborn as a pack of mules. What has changed? Seniors use to be very nice folks for the most part. Now they are worse than the under-age market and selfish as all get out!

Don't take this the wrong way, but, perhaps your telephone skills need some improvement? I'm not seeing what you are saying.
You have to develope trust with the senior before you can sell them anything.
Keep in mind you are just another "pest" calling them.
You need to seperate yourself from all the other "pests".

Don't take this the wrong way, but, perhaps your telephone skills need some improvement? I'm not seeing what you are saying.
You have to develope trust with the senior before you can sell them anything.
Keep in mind you are just another "pest" calling them.
You need to seperate yourself from all the other "pests".
Thanks for tip DS4,
I am always trying to improve on the phone and in person.
Do you still cold call? I thought you worked off referrals now primarily.

Back