Is It OK to Help Your Clients to Negotiate Medical Bills?

Pancur

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
IL
Hi,

I know that it may be one of the stupid questions but I just want to be sure that I'm not violating any rule or law. I don't want to loose my license.

My customer recently had colonoscopy and he has $5,000 deductible on his insurance plan. He doesn't speak English and cannot afford to pay the bill in full. He asked me if I could talk to the doctor and ask him to lower the bill and split it into monthly installments.

Can I do it and not violate any insurance regulations?

Run it through his insurance. The carrier and doc already have contracts that limit how much can be charged.

Agreed, that's half the reason to have a high deductible plan, is to gain access to the network allowable charges. As far as negotiating direct with the doctor's office, I don't see why this would violate any licensing rules. I also don't see that as your job. ;)

Run it through his insurance. The carrier and doc already have contracts that limit how much can be charged.
Hi,
The claim was already processed thru his insurance and he is to pay some $2,200. The initial bill was already cut due to network discount but still the client can't afford to pay it in full.
I know that hospitals or doctors tents to split bills into installments if their patient can't pay it in full especially nowadays. However I don't know about applying another discount on already discounted bill.
Personally I have no problem helping people in such situations but first I want to be sure that it's OK with DOI.

It is typically against the provider's contract to take an amount reduced from the network allowable. They can't stop him from paying in installments, but they most likely wouldn't take less than what the insurance carrier said they are owed.

I guess you could just pay the installments on the bill for him each month with you commission on the plan you sold him. After all, people should work for free, right? Sorry, I just think it's funny that this medical provider is supposed to take less than what they are owed. What other professions do we feel that way about?

I will suggest what people could do but never do it for them.....I am sure your client has a bilingual friend....have them do it....

Personally I have no problem helping people in such situations but first I want to be sure that it's OK with DOI.

Can of worms, can of worms, can of worms.....

I would tread carefully here. Did this client not know he purchased a 5k deductible? Does the client understand what a deductible is?

You need to be careful about getting too deep into this situation.

Back