Is Medicare Optional for SSDI Income Recipient, when the 24 Mo. is Up?

It sounds like you already did this, but a local office of your state's ship program is the first thing I think of:

https://www.medicare.gov/Contacts/

Beyond that, depends on how far you want to go (or are required to go).

Family member or legal representative.

In a large city, ask a local chapter of Alzheimer's assn if they have any advice.

In a larger city, talk with people at the local senior center and see if they can offer some assistance.

Check out what local assistance might be available through your state's Council on Aging or Area Agency for Aging.

In my "extended family" situations with dementia, the people involved have other family members involved to help them with situations like this.

By all means, when a client is showing those signs the best CYA move is always have other's present. While you may mean all the best for their outcome a errant move on their part can come back to "she was working with YOU", and the blame is on your back.

Great answers! Will see about Alzheimer's Association, too and if any senior centers in client's immediate local area. The Agency on Aging main office is about 20-30 min. drive from client's home.

as far as I know, they wont be able to get any ACA subsidy after 24 months regardless if they take it or not, and if they don't, they will have no way to take it again until they turn 65

as far as I know, they wont be able to get any ACA subsidy after 24 months regardless if they take it or not, and if they don't, they will have no way to take it again until they turn 65

Indeed. Once eligible for Medicare, no longer eligible for tax credit. Can buy a policy on Marketplace, but no tax credit. Not a reasonable choice for most.

>>I didn't realize that enrolling was optional for SSDI recipients who qualify after 24 months on SSDI. Is it optional? Regular Medicare makes you drop your SS income if you refuse Medicare A.>>

Guys- Can someone give me some authorities here? Why would receiving medical insurance benefits from anywhere preclude receipt of SSDI or Medicare, let alone cause an overpayment (that results in repayment)?

SSDI is based on the "date last worked" (DLW)- with the exception of end stage renal- benefits can begin after 24 months totally disabled. Even if you file claim several years after you stopped working, benefits can be retroactive to the 2 years after DLW. I had one claim approved for a client who was receiving IDI and LTD since the mid-90's and he got SSDI and Medicare.

When someone receives an award of SSDI, they get a letter explaining the Medicare eligibility. If they have been on uninsured for a time, they may need to decide if they want Medicare to be retroactive. Otherwise, it begins in 25th month.

Medicare Parts B, C, and D are voluntary. Since Part A has no monthly premium, there’s no advantage to declining it.

Veteran's can have their Veteran's medical benefits and receive SSDI, and waive Medicare. You can be covered as a dependent under a medical plan from a spouse's employer.

I do not believe you can remain "eligible " for the ACA-driven benefits; a claimant's eligibility for SSDI/Medicare would negate the ability to participate.

SSDI transitions to retirement but Medicare for the SSDI group remains a constant, regardless of age.

#

Last edited:
Note the last sentence in your 3 sentence quote is talking about Social Security, not SSDI.

In regard to medicare remaining a constant for the SSDI group, I believe I have read lots of posts indicating that Medicare "restarts" at age 65, so it seems conceivable that persons could have two Medicare environments in their life - one pre 65 and one post 65.

LD- Read the thread before I jumped in. And, no, there is no difference for pre vs post age 65 Medicare. Just because it's written up here time and again does not make it gospel. As an industry, we're taught that "if you can sell pencils on street corners, you'll never qualify for SSDI." That, too, is "gospel" in our circles but a lie in reality. You may wish to take the questions directly to SSA; they have support lines.

What I meant by different environments was that just because a person is entitled to both Part A and Part B does not mean they will take them. One can find beneficiaries that have both A and B pre 65 and only A after 65, or vice versa. There may be other combinations as well, I can't comment on that. I just know that not everyone entitled to both Parts A and B of Medicare will have them both.

Last edited:
With that, I concur. However, Part A comes w/ no premium. Most beneficiaries take that; some opt out of the elective parts. The discussion was on needing to repay Social Security if you opt out of Medicare and that is untrue.

Back