Is selling insurance part- time on the side realistic?

LifeInStyle

Hello, I will try to keep this a brief as possible, like the title of the post says, Is selling insurance part time as a side "hustle" realistic? Long story short I have an established career right now that I do enjoy doing, I was looking for a side gig that has flexibility with scheduling because my full time position does not have traditional 9-5 scheduling. I went to a networking event and there were a few independent insurance agents there who my info and all that and said that selling insurance on the side would be perfect for me. I was told the same thing about real estate and tried doing it but you really need full time availability to make money doing it in my opinion, and I assumed insurance was the same way but was told you make your own schedule and can book appointments around my other job. I have been in direct sales before so I am familiar with how recruiting and mlm's work. Any advice would be appreciated, thank you.

For life sales and real estate I would say no. Of course there are exceptions. If I own a 800K house why would I want someone who works 10 hours a week to sell it. Since I am paying full commission I would prefer someone who will sells houses on a full time basis. You may find 1st time buyers and network your way with them, but quickly you will realize the brokers may be just interested in finding new prospects and splitting the commission with you. The same kind of situation in life insurance sales. If you want to learn how to sell by phone, it will take 1 year full time to develop skills to make over 100k consistently. If you are face to face again it will take you full time 1 year to develop skills to make over 100k annually. If you want to stretch the training, sure now it will take you 4 to 5 years to develop your skills. No one has that patience. Will realtors hire you part time. Will life agencies hire you part time. Absolutely yes.

Hello, I will try to keep this a brief as possible, like the title of the post says, Is selling insurance part time as a side "hustle" realistic? Long story short I have an established career right now that I do enjoy doing, I was looking for a side gig that has flexibility with scheduling because my full time position does not have traditional 9-5 scheduling. I went to a networking event and there were a few independent insurance agents there who my info and all that and said that selling insurance on the side would be perfect for me. I was told the same thing about real estate and tried doing it but you really need full time availability to make money doing it in my opinion, and I assumed insurance was the same way but was told you make your own schedule and can book appointments around my other job. I have been in direct sales before so I am familiar with how recruiting and mlm's work. Any advice would be appreciated, thank you.
I believe that Dave Duford and Josh Jones both started part time in FE.

Yes, you can do insurance part-time... if you're peddling insurance.

Now, I'm using that term on purpose. If you're doing final expense and medicare supplements, you simply ask a few questions, look for your ideal situation and make the product recommendation.

You won't (necessarily) be doing large 5-6-7 figure premium policies or annuity sales on a part-time basis.

There are situations where it can work. But you were in a pitch meeting put on by MLM recruiters. There are agencies like NAA and FFL and others that have pyramid style recruiting platform where they just try to get anyone who can fog a mirror to sign up. Your chance of making it in one of those places is slim. They have HUGE fail out rates. They aren't about teaching you to sell insurance. They just want you to sign up and buy recycled leads and recruit your friends and if some of you actually sell some insurance that's fine too.
If you seriously want to give it a try go to a normal IMO that will sign you at the regular commission levels (even though your pitch-man claimed to have the highest commissions in the industry, he was lying) and will train you how to sell insurance. Don't fall for the recruiting your friends pitches (they just want more warm bodies that don't understand how anything works). What they aren't telling you is that YOU are co-signing loans the people they put under you. You can make a $500 over ride off a guy but YOU have to pay back his $10,000 chargeback if he defaults on you. Yes, you read that right, you pay back $9,500 more than you took in on that downline agent. Did they explain that part? Nope! Didn't think so. They also aren't going to be realistic with how commonly that happens if you bring it up to them.
If you want to have a real conversation, I'll be happy to talk to you. The number is on our FexContracting website. But likely I will refer you to Todd King if this isn't something you plan to work into a full time career. But it would still benefit you to speak with us. Call any time.

Back