It's happening, doctor opting out of Medicare

axeman462

Guru
1000 Post Club
Florida
Got an email last night, a couple's doctor will not accept Original Medicare in 2024.
He will accept a few MAPD PPOs or private pay.
Guess I got some work to do tomorrow, switching some medsupps to MAPD PPO...

Why would a dr discontinue OM but still accept MAPD? I know the reimbursement rates are low, but it would be hard to believe MAPD is paying more than OM.

Why would a dr discontinue OM but still accept MAPD? I know the reimbursement rates are low, but it would be hard to believe MAPD is paying more than OM.
I'm glad that I'm not the only one that has experienced this. I recently enrolled a client into a specific MAPD because her doctor was no longer taking Medicare but taking that MAPD plan. I had her double check and I relayed how odd this sounded (documenting everything).

Some doctors, whose practice is actually owned by a hospital network, may be forced to drop out of OM when the hospital network contracts with the MAPD.

had another client down in Tampa call me this week, said her doctor doesn't accept OM anymore. Wanted to know what her options were. She is considering switching to an MAPD so she can keep her doctor

Back