Ive decided on Health

from what I am reading I think i will be more successful in the health world compared life insurance (just a gut feeling i guess)....I would like to get started as independent but have no training whatsoever in health, but i know i can sell it if i learn it....i'm self employed now and understand how to be self motivated and am willing to spend money to make money, what companies do you suggest i sign up with to start thanx!!!

from what I am reading I think i will be more successful in the health world compared life insurance (just a gut feeling i guess)....I would like to get started as independent but have no training whatsoever in health, but i know i can sell it if i learn it....i'm self employed now and understand how to be self motivated and am willing to spend money to make money, what companies do you suggest i sign up with to start thanx!!!

Trying to start as an independent is a recipe for disaster. You don't even know what you don't know - doesn't matter if you're self employed now or not.

I'm not in/from Miami, so I'm not "local", but here is what I'd do if I were you:

There are all kinds of marginal, shady outfits that you could get involved with. Most of them probably advertise regularly in the Herald/Sun Sentinel, or both. craigslist too. These places just churn 'em up and spit 'em out.

Do some research. Ask around and discover who the agencies are that do health insurance that are well-respected. Know any realtors? They may own individual health. Look in the phone book. Call 'em up and go see 'em. Evaluate whether they're a good fit for what you want to do.

I disagree Paul - you can absolutely make it as an independent without coming from a salaried shop.

We have a lot of ex-Mega agents on this board and I have many ex-Mega agent friends who dove out to become successful.

Now, you might say that we got training and support. Lol. Yeah...the wrong training and the wrong support. So when we dove out we not only had to start from scratch, but also deprogram ourselves. We didn't start from zero. We started from negative 2.

I find people who have a "self-employed" mindset and good work ethic have a good chance of making it.

Without a "self-employed" mindset and work ethic you can spend 10 years in a shop, then crash and burn 4 weeks after going independent.

I disagree Paul - you can absolutely make it as an independent without coming from a salaried shop.

We have a lot of ex-Mega agents on this board and I have many ex-Mega agent friends who dove out to become successful.

I didn't say anything about a "salaried" shop.

Plus, you make my point...

These folks did NOT start independent. As bad as it may have been, they started with Mega. Even if you learn how "not" to do it - you're still learning.

I agree that people with a self-employed background have bigger chances for success in the insurance business. Hard work however is over-rated. It's based on "emotion" - you feel good if you're working hard. However, never confuse effort with results.

There's all kinds of people who kill themselves "working hard" without a pot to piss in, and a window to throw it out of.

You can work 24 hours a day...and if you're doing the wrong things...it won't be worth a damn.

If you're doing the right things, then the concept of "hard work" can make a difference.

Well you need to know how Mega operates. You're on your own - totally independent. They give you a few sheets of "B leads," slap you on the ass and say "go sell."

I absolutely would have done better just diving into Assurant, GR, Aetna...if I had a basic support system - just someone to point me in the right direction and say "go."

Give it up Paul. You obviously don't know what you don't know . . . .

If you did, you would have your own association.

Not saying it can't be done.

What I am saying, is that you give yourself a greater margin for error, and much higher odds of success, and a greater chance of conserving your capital if you dry off behind the ears first.

So let's put the theory to the test.

Let's ask any of the ten plus year veterans on this board. I'm not talkin' about a year or two of quick success, I'm talkin' guys who have found a way to last in the business.

Did you start independent?

Do you know someone who did that has been able to last (10+ years) by starting independent from dead scratch?

"give it up" is the best advice you've posted on this forum. Do give it up Bob and just move on. Me and the association will be around for quite some time. Move into "acceptance mode" and get on with your life. Buy some more leads or something - take up a hobby. Your child-like jabs don't effect what I'm doing are it's time spent that you'll never get back. Bitter doesn't suit you.

Back