Johnny Solinger, former Skid Row singer, dies at 55 after liver failure diagnosis

Northeast Agent

Guru
1000 Post Club
Pennsylvania
Skid Row's Johnny Solinger dies: Band's ex-singer had liver failure

Solinger shared his health struggles with fans last month on Facebook.

"It is with a heavy heart I must let everyone know what’s going on with me and my health," he wrote on May 8. "I have been hospitalized for over the last month. I have been diagnosed with liver failure. And prognosis is not so good. As with most musicians I do not have health insurance and it’s very difficult to get proper care without it.

“I am currently under at least seven different medications and I need to have my abdomen drained off fluid that gets accumulated every couple of days,” he wrote. "I have lost a lot of strength and will require physical therapy as well."

Solinger asked fans to “send me all the healing vibes you can” and donations to help with his medical bills. A GoFundMe page organized by his friend Brian Lawrence has raised $16,000 toward a $100,000 goal.

I never heard of this guy and have no idea who Skid Row is. Heavy Metal wasn't my thing.

Regardless of who you are, I think it is always a tragedy when someone does not have health insurance. I hear excuses all the time.

I am never sick.

I can't afford it.

I will wait until I need it and buy a plan (this is popular with folks who think Obamacare can be bought any time you want).

Insurance companies make a profit and health care should be free.

God will take care of me. Another variation, the church will take care of me. I had someone actually tell me that years ago so I asked "Does everyone in the church feel this way or just you?".

I don't believe in insurance. Yep, heard that a number of times. "So you don't believe insurance companies are REAL?"

I am not casting stones here but, regardless of your justification for not buying health insurance, I think it is sad when you have to ask friends and strangers to pay your medical bills.

somarco said:

"I never heard of this guy and have no idea who Skid Row is. Heavy Metal wasn't my thing."

You never heard "18 and Life"?

I thought musicians, like actors could join something like SAG/AFTRA and get insurance.

You never heard "18 and Life"?

Nope.

Closest thing to that kind of music for me was Aerosmith.

DqonoMWVAAAXBG8.jpg

Dude looks like a lady . . . .

The majority of working musicians have a limited set of choices when obtaining health insurance coverage. Some labor unions and organizations – in particular AFTRA, AFM, NARAS, BMI and ASCAP – have recognized this problem and made health insurance plans available to their members.

Health Insurance and Musicians | Future of Music Coalition

Just because they CAN get health insurance doesn't mean they actually do. Prior to Obamacare I imagine most would be rejected for health reasons.

My experience in working with trade unions and "associations" is the insurance is lousy and expensive. Exception would be union members with a regular employer that contributes to the hour bank as part of the CBA.

Skid Row's Johnny Solinger dies: Band's ex-singer had liver failure

Solinger shared his health struggles with fans last month on Facebook.

"It is with a heavy heart I must let everyone know what’s going on with me and my health," he wrote on May 8. "I have been hospitalized for over the last month. I have been diagnosed with liver failure. And prognosis is not so good. As with most musicians I do not have health insurance and it’s very difficult to get proper care without it.

“I am currently under at least seven different medications and I need to have my abdomen drained off fluid that gets accumulated every couple of days,” he wrote. "I have lost a lot of strength and will require physical therapy as well."

Solinger asked fans to “send me all the healing vibes you can” and donations to help with his medical bills. A GoFundMe page organized by his friend Brian Lawrence has raised $16,000 toward a $100,000 goal.

Why didn't this dude just buy ACA coverage a few month back with the COVID SEP after he was first diagnosed? Not as affordable as" healing vibes " but much more practical.

Back