Just one-third of 61 million eligible for Medicare opt for MA plans

Insurance Forums Staff

Guru
Sponsor
Insurance Forums Staff submitted a new article

Just one-third of 61 million eligible for Medicare opt for MA plans
bigstock-174230677.jpg

Mark Farrah Associates reports Medicare Advantage plan enrollment exceeds 21 million as of Feb. 2018, an increase of 7.6% compared to Feb. 2017.
Continue reading the Original Article.

See your point and probably not the best headline without context... Was trying to emphasize the potential agents have to reach/sell the other two-thirds, but I could have been made it more clear...

See your point and probably not the best headline without context... Was trying to emphasize the potential agents have to reach/sell the other two-thirds, but I could have been made it more clear...

Well, there really aren't two-thirds of Medicare age people who are potential MAPD candidates. Some of those are on Medicaid (yes, those could possibly be on a DSNP and thus be on a MAPD) and some are on employer sponsored group plans. So the numbers are reduced as to potential growth. I would say the 34% market share that carriers have is a substantial amount. And if you removed those who are on employer sponsored group plans from the equation, MA carriers probably have closer to 40%-45% of Medicare beneficiaries market share. I don't see a ton of growth as a percentage of Medicare beneficiaries. But due to the fact that a large number of people are turning 65 each year for the next several years, there will be an increase in pure numbers. Not necessarily an increase in percentage of those eligible though.

Just my two cents.

Building on Scott's two cents and adding my nickel's worth . . .

8856-02-figure-4.png

A surprising (to me at least) equal percentage have employer plans. Those take on many different versions including pure retiree medical (becoming a rarity), HRA, group Advantage, group Medicare supplement plus probably a few others I did not mention.

If the MA agents want to tap a market they should seek out those who fall in the "none" category since agents who sell MA plans claim their client base can't afford a supplement plan.

Building on Scott's two cents and adding my nickel's worth . . .

8856-02-figure-4.png

A surprising (to me at least) equal percentage have employer plans. Those take on many different versions including pure retiree medical (becoming a rarity), HRA, group Advantage, group Medicare supplement plus probably a few others I did not mention.

If the MA agents want to tap a market they should seek out those who fall in the "none" category since agents who sell MA plans claim their client base can't afford a supplement plan.

Five cents, you just had to out do me didn't you?

Back