Kanawah LTC Policy

Great suggestion, but I think I'll pass.:):no:
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I wrote her a $1500 a month benefit for 24 months with a 5% inflation rider to have in addition to her $100 a day Kanawha benefit. She feels that the total $4500 a month with her social security check will pay all her care for at least 24 months, however minor it seems. She also liked having some inflation protection rather than none at all. After that, she will have the $100 a day policy only, and hope for the best. She felt the extra $1500 a month for 24 months with 5% simple inflation was worth the cost of $174 per month in addition to what she was already paying for her Kanawha. I'm not sure I agree, but it's what she wanted. Her son was ther, and he agreed. :err:Thoughts anyone???

Last edited:
Bill,
She's got a $4,500 benefit and you said nursing homes are running about $5,600/month. She was comfortable with that and her son was also comfortable.

I guess in an ideal world, you would have liked to get her a few more years of coverage and you might have been able to do that by dropping the inflation rider and adding another year or two.

My thoughts? You did a good job.

My mother-in-law has a Kanawha policy LTC and has lost it. I am not able to find them online...any one have any ideas of where??

Kanawha insurance for assisted living is the worst company to deal with. They only communicate through mail or fax machines. I call them one day, they confirmed they received information from my Mother's doctors, only to call them back the next day, and they are missing it. I have started logging all calls, who I talk with and times, and what we discussed. I started a claim back in December, three months ago, and am still fighting them over just receiving paperwork via faxes, which they claim half the time to have not received. I am paying for my mom's care out of pocket, and am about five seconds from hiring a lawyer.

I have the money to support my Mother for the next twenty years, hence I have all the time in the world to fight with them, however, many people don't, and they rely on insurance to help out when they need it the most. Dealing with a loved one in assisted living is hard enough, fighting insurance companies shouldn't be on your list, too.

If you haven't bought Kanawha, RUN! If so, be prepared for a fight.

--
To michael1963 below, you can reach them at 1-800-260-2162 (Press 1 for claims) ext.:58421 - Ask for Carline

Kanawha insurance for assisted living is the worst company to deal with. They only communicate through mail or fax machines. I call them one day, they confirmed they received information from my Mother's doctors, only to call them back the next day, and they are missing it. I have started logging all calls, who I talk with and times, and what we discussed. I started a claim back in December, three months ago, and am still fighting them over just receiving paperwork via faxes, which they claim half the time to have not received. I am paying for my mom's care out of pocket, and am about five seconds from hiring a lawyer.

I have the money to support my Mother for the next twenty years, hence I have all the time in the world to fight with them, however, many people don't, and they rely on insurance to help out when they need it the most. Dealing with a loved one in assisted living is hard enough, fighting insurance companies shouldn't be on your list, too.

If you haven't bought Kanawha, RUN! If so, be prepared for a fight.

--
To michael1963 below, you can reach them at 1-800-260-2162 (Press 1 for claims) ext.:58421 - Ask for Carline

You know they're owned by Humana. :yes:

Back