Kansas City Life?

KCL is one of the last family own life insurance companies in the US. It's real big in the Midwest. The prices on its term insurance is in the middle of the pack. They have a respectable UL. Because they are a smaller company, the underwriters will work with you on some of the tough cases to get them issued at a favorable rate. You should have your client call customer service to get the policy info. They are always very helpful and friendly.

They were helpful, but not overly friendly. They knew I was an agent that might be replacing the policy.

I had an "experience" with KCL a few years ago. I received an email about an annuity with great fixed rates. It was one of those limited time things. I had a client who just happened to have an annuity renewing at the same time.

So I call the agency that sent the email and they send me the contracting paperwork. I submit the paperwork and they get it processed in about two weeks. I then submit the annuity application with the transfer paperwork. About a week later I'm notified that my appointment is canceled because my upline's appointment has been canceled.

So I call KCL to see about getting appointed direct or through another agency. They tell me I can't be appointed with KCL because of my affiliation with the agency I was originally appointed through. The one that I had only found out about three weeks prior. Talk about guilt by association. Of course, I then had to go back to the client and explain that I wouldn't be able to get him that particular annuity and rate, but would help him find someone who is appointed with KCL to work with. Fortunately he has been a long time client and only wanted to work with me.

I don't care if KCL has the best products, I will never do business with them after the way they handled that situation. Of course, I may still be guilty by association and couldn't sell them anyway.

Back