Lazy and Brain Dead

Consumers who do stuff like this have only two real reasons for keeping their current plan.

Either they don't trust your recommendation.

Or they are too ignorant to do what is best for them.

In either case, there is no way to make the sale.

Very true. I think the bigger question is this case is what we tell ourselves after situations like this occur. Will our ego's allow us to evaluate what took place objectively?

If the sale did not happen due to ignorant behavior on their part, there is nothing more you can do. If it was due to them not trusting your recommendation, there is a lot you can do to improve yourself. There always seems to be that moment when you make direct eye contact with the prospect and you know that they either "get it" or not.

If you see that they don't "get it", you always have to back pedel and start with building credibility first. It is not pleasant to remind ourselves that not all people trust us. Believe it or not, not all people trust or even like insurance agents!

The best thing we can walk away with in cases like this is to be true to ourselves and give an honest critique of the event. If we are able to improve upon or refine any of our skills then all was not lost.

The funny thing is, I have never seen a non sale happen due to anything other than prospect ignorance! ;)

</IMG>

"Blue Cross has paid everything"

Before you knock someone for this comment, realize it's important, very important. Even worth paying more for.

Sure plan designs are exactly alike, premiums are different. However one may pay a claim within two weeks and another takes 6 months..

Even though you might be saving them money on the front end the hassle at the other end makes it not worth it for some. It doesn't mean their stupid or slow. It means some hassles aren't worth the savings..

Been there done that with some carriers who are cheaper. With some of those cheaper carriers I found myself really earning my commissions several times over as they just couldn't pay a claim without me having to get involved. low price but bad claims paying ability is not a bargin.

so if blue has paid everything, better be able to show company "A" has to faster or just as fast, at a lower cost.

"Blue Cross has paid everything"

Before you knock someone for this comment, realize it's important, very important. Even worth paying more for.

Sure plan designs are exactly alike, premiums are different. However one may pay a claim within two weeks and another takes 6 months..

Even though you might be saving them money on the front end the hassle at the other end makes it not worth it for some. It doesn't mean their stupid or slow. It means some hassles aren't worth the savings..

Been there done that with some carriers who are cheaper. With some of those cheaper carriers I found myself really earning my commissions several times over as they just couldn't pay a claim without me having to get involved. low price but bad claims paying ability is not a bargin.

so if blue has paid everything, better be able to show company "A" has to faster or just as fast, at a lower cost.

Your comment is exactly correct for medical insurance. For Med Supps, not so much.

In my experience, no carrier has any advantage over any other as far as claims paying.

It makes NO DIFFERENCE which supplement someone has. In California, one can change their plans every year without underwriting. Go for the lowest price. That's all that matters.

Rick

With some of those cheaper carriers I found myself really earning my commissions several times over as they just couldn't pay a claim

I have been kicking carrier butts for over 30 years. I don't have the time or patience to deal with carriers who will not service their clients.

If someone wants to buy Fornication Mutual they will get it from someone other than me. If they want to buy a plan with artificial caps on claims they will buy it from someone other than me.

BX stiffs their clients in this state on renewal business to the point by the time they come to their senses they could drop a 10# turd and not even feel it.

If an insured likes taking it up the arse then they deserve to stay with BX.

"In my experience, no carrier has any advantage over any other as far as claims paying."

Well, someone is leaving that aspect out of the selling then. Because that seems to be the hot issue.

GREENSKY-

I find myself in the same situation with BCBS and United World. I can save the client a ton of money here in South Carolina and they still wont switch. See i think the problem here is that most people have had BCBS at some point in their life and they have learned to trust the company and dont mind paying more for something they are familiar with.

However, yes ALL medicare plans are alike and they understand and still dont switch. I showed a woman that in 10 years her plan F will be over 200/month w/ BCBS and United world would only be about 130, she stayed w/ BC.:wacko:

had BCBS at some point in their life and they have learned to trust the company

That trust works in the carriers favor (usually to the detriment of the insured) up to a point.

My father, a WWII veteran, always drove GM cars (usually Buick) and said he would never own a Ford or "Jap" car.

For the last few yrs he has driven a Honda Civic.

Sometimes people eventually realize that their blind loyalty is benefitting the company more than it does them.

If folks want to pay BX more and get nothing in return, that is their problem. Doesn't mean their ignorance isn't frustrating.

GREENSKY-

I find myself in the same situation with BCBS and United World. I can save the client a ton of money here in South Carolina and they still wont switch. See i think the problem here is that most people have had BCBS at some point in their life and they have learned to trust the company and dont mind paying more for something they are familiar with.

However, yes ALL medicare plans are alike and they understand and still dont switch. I showed a woman that in 10 years her plan F will be over 200/month w/ BCBS and United world would only be about 130, she stayed w/ BC.:wacko:

People in Missouri seem to have the same mind set. I can blow BC&BS out of the water with a couple of different companies and they still won't change. These are people who don't have a pot or a window and in some cases the savings is close to $100.00 per month.

One woman who lived in a about a 30' trailer told me that she has has BC&BS since she was 18 and lose all the money she paid them if she changed companies.

I simply said thank you and left. I can't combat ignorance.

So far this month I have had 3 people tell me that it is easier for them to stay with their current carrier, and pay the higher premium, than to make a change.

I haven't seen anyone touch on this yet.... As I don't sell Health I don't know but for my P&C clients, we do all the background work for them. Canceling current policies, notifying lien holders and mortgage companies, all the client does for us is sign forms and give us a check. Is all that being left up to the consumer?

Back