Lead Generation Insuring Their Clients

slllano

Hi, I've started up a small "company" (not yet really a company - still got to get biz name and LLC it and whatnot), more like a side job, where I basically find leads for construction contractors and related fields (painters, carpenters, plumbers, etc).

I've been doing this for a few months, its not big at all, but I want it to get bigger or rather I want to make a business out of it. One problem I've encountered is that some of these "contractors" aren't insured. Obviously, my leads will be discouraged in using their services without proper insurance.

I thought of a solution but don't know if this is possible or even legal.

Could I get some sort of liability insurance, under my name or future business name, that I could apply to any contractors without insurance so that when I ship them out to my clients the work is insured?

Not workers comp, just the kind of insurance that covers damages that may occur to a home, or resident in the home (God forbid), in case of an accident during a job.

Also, could I form some sort of contract (with a lawyer of course) so that in case a contractor of mine causes damages, and I have to pay deductibles or other fees/increases, they are made responsible for reimbursing me (through a bill or membership price increase for a period of time, etc.)?

So to wrap things up: Non-insured contractors that wish to use my lead generation services and that are hired by my clients are offered insurance per job/person, under my name, and responsible for paying fees back to me in case its used.

Hope this isn't too confusing. I'm sort of confused :twitchy:

Might be best just not to deal with non-insured companies, but it would be great to have a larger market in my small-ish city.

Thanks!

The closest you'll probably get is if you were actually subbing it out to them. Probably better of telling them to get insurance or find new clients.

While I think it's possible through some markets, not a good idea. You are basically offering yourself (or your company) up on a silver platter for an attorney that specializes in construction defects.

Would you really feel comfortable covering someone that doesn't care enough to cover themselves?

Thanks for the responses.

That's what I was thinking, that its definitely not worth it.

I think I will stick to only helping clients with insurance, and hopefully that will encourage others to become insured.

Back