Leaving agency after 14 years

Bob, you're forgetting (or ignorant to the fact) that I walked away from an agency that tried to keep my book, had their agents call my clients to flip them etc, etc, etc.

I have to ask:
  • Why do you so often speak with such contempt?
  • Is yours the only opinion that matters?
  • You single me out yet am I the only one who has trouble with this issue on this thread? (read ABC's post)
  • Do I threaten you in some manner?
It's really funny at this point. And the vacuum reference to cap it off, hysterical.

Regardless, I hope your behavior makes you feel better, even though I'm sure it's only temporary.

Rob, it is quite obvious you have never had a real job. Otherwise you would not have so much trouble with this issue.

That is exactly why I want to go non capitve, because I never want someone to benefit off of my hard work but me. That may sound selfish but that's how I feel. I know it will work out. Man if I were your boss I would be PISSED OFF!!!

Actually Rob, if you want to know the truth, I have never cared for your use of this forum to hawk your business. Not singling you out, I have the same feeling about others who do likewise.

This is a great forum with lot's of experience and ideas. Blatant solicitation for profit demeans the purpose of this forum.

Some of your information is helpful and some off base. Your one time association with an agency who tried to keep/flip your block is a nice story but not always the way it happens. I believe I have had a bit more experience in that area, both personally and thru colleagues, to know that when money is involved the fight can get nasty.

MMJSKI may get lucky and walk with all his accounts. Or he may have to fight and even pay off his former employer.

If he chooses to listen only to those who tell him there is no problem since there is no contract, then fine. Maybe it will work out for him.

Certainly nothing wrong in telling it like it is in the real world, especially when it comes from folks with real world experience and that does not mean playing in a rock band.

Bob, I understand and I do appreciate you being candid.

I admitted that I started off a bit too gung ho on here but only because I'm excited and passionate. And I have since only offered advice and/or articles that hopefully some feel are useful. And I've only made offers under the "offers" section. I've behaved, LOL

Maybe you could find a way to recognize that and act or react on that, not react based on the past.

And remember, what you might think is off base, may not represent everyone's feelings.

But again, thanks for your thoughts and honesty. I love you man!!!!!

;)

Actually Rob, if you want to know the truth, I have never cared for your use of this forum to hawk your business. Not singling you out, I have the same feeling about others who do likewise.

This is a great forum with lot's of experience and ideas. Blatant solicitation for profit demeans the purpose of this forum.

Some of your information is helpful and some off base. Your one time association with an agency who tried to keep/flip your block is a nice story but not always the way it happens. I believe I have had a bit more experience in that area, both personally and thru colleagues, to know that when money is involved the fight can get nasty.

MMJSKI may get lucky and walk with all his accounts. Or he may have to fight and even pay off his former employer.

If he chooses to listen only to those who tell him there is no problem since there is no contract, then fine. Maybe it will work out for him.

Certainly nothing wrong in telling it like it is in the real world, especially when it comes from folks with real world experience and that does not mean playing in a rock band.

Hello everyone...This week I will be resigning from the agency I have worked for after 14 years of service as a sales person and have started a new agency. Focusing primarily on group health,dental,life and disability, I currently service over 70 commercial business accounts and do plan on taking them with me. I don't remember signing a non-compete and I am 99% sure I don't have one. The company has always said we own our block of business. I guess I'll find out shortly. My post is simply to ask what problems or pitfalls did anyone encounter during a transition like this. Leaving an agency and taking all possible business to the new company through BOR's. Any start up problems? etc.
Thanks

Did you ever think to ask if they'd offer you some stake in the company? Make you a junior owner or something like that? Or maybe ask for increased commissions?

I'm not saying you shouldn't go out on your own but those are two overlooked and I think much simpler options.

Did you ever think to ask if they'd offer you some stake in the company? Make you a junior owner or something like that? Or maybe ask for increased commissions?

I'm not saying you shouldn't go out on your own but those are two overlooked and I think much simpler options.

Funny you should ask...they have been telling me I will be given an opportunity to "buy in" to the company for the past 2 years. Nothing yet. Supposed to hear back from the attorney with options in July. Attorney too busy. Have something last week. Nothing. I am sure they are working on something, but I've since invested my money/bought another unrelated business and why would I buy the block they say I own. They also said I wouldn't be the only one given the opportunity. So if 3 people decide to work toward "buying" the agency, eventually there will be 3 owners making decisions. Just can't do it.

Increased commissions? They recently took 7% away to meet their budget. How else do you support 2 six figure incomes without generating renenue?

Now I'm venting...you guys have been very helpful (you too robliano & somarco). This forum is fantastic and I will continue to get and GIVE advice here. Although many of you are my competitors, there's enough business to go around...now to my resignation letter.

Trick or treat?

Does anyone else have a stability problem with Chrome? It shuts down without warning, even in the middle of composing a post.

many of you are my competitors

Not really.

Unless you are 1 of 2 agents in a small town, you really don't have competitors on this site.

There are at least 4 agents on this board in relative proximity to me and I have communicated with all of them at one time or another. There are several others in GA, and other states, with whom I have also talked or corresponded by email.

Sure there are ego's here. Heck, I have been accused of having an ego but it is mostly from folks who are jealous of my good looks, massive wealth and trophy wife.

You forgot to mention your very large . . . shotgun!

:biggrin:
Sure there are ego's here. Heck, I have been accused of having an ego but it is mostly from folks who are jealous of my good looks, massive wealth and trophy wife.

And the vacuum reference to cap it off, hysterical.

I invested in one of those Dysons a while back. Awesome, worth every penny.

Coincidentally, the dude brought his technology to all the major vacuum manufacturers, and none would give him the time of day. Ah, the wisdom of big business...

He decided to do it himself, and has become hugely successful.

Back