Leaving Bankers Life & Casualty File Problems

Good advice for anyone always maintain your own files. Copy the app before turning it in. It is probably too late to sneak them out of the office now.

I was here over a year. Didn't have anything bad to say about the place until the last hour. It was a good place to learn and I'll leave it at that. I will be leaving all my plaques because they don't mean anything to me anymore.

Congrats on your decision to leave. How long were you working there? The best thing would have been to make copies of all of your client files without them knowing. Since that is probably not an option now, hopefully you have at least printed out your client list. If so, you'll just have to visit your clients and "update their fact finder/file".

I wouldn't take the offices copy of the client files. There would likely be some legal issues come up if you did. When I left I sent all of my clients a personal letter letting them know I was resigning, and left the door open for them to contact me. I got a threatening letter from BLC's attorney for that. Most have, and the ones that haven't I'm planning on contacting after my 2 years is up.

I would try and leave on somewhat decent terms as they are known for doing some things that can make you run around trying to defend yourself. They can sue you for soliciting "their" clients, have your old clients file bogus complaints on you (they'll write it and have client sign, then your manager will send it to DOI). It's a dirty company when you leave, so focus on getting away, getting new appointments and writing new biz as an independent.

Also, expect any policy not yet delivered or issued to be cancelled and re-written. You will also get chargebacks as they are going to replace some of your biz. When you get the letter stating you owe them, don't pay it. Wait until a year has passed, call home office and request the comp statements showing which policies you were charged back on. Call those clients and ask what happened (not soliciting). Call home office back and go through in detail disputing what you owe. They will take the bogus chargebacks off. Then offer them a settlement to pay in full. the rep is authorized to take 20%off, but I settled for 40% off by requesting it. Good luck!

And with no files how do you defend your self and family?

Defend myself from what? If I were sued, the files could be subpoenaed by my attorney. The only thing the files would help me with is soliciting new business from the fact finder, or replacing my old policies.

When I was there, I did maintain my own copies of all client files.

Defend myself from what? If I were sued, the files could be subpoenaed by my attorney. The only thing the files would help me with is soliciting new business from the fact finder, or replacing my old policies.

When I was there, I did maintain my own copies of all client files.

""They can sue you for soliciting "their" clients, have your old clients file bogus complaints on you (they'll write it and have client sign, then your manager will send it to DOI). It's a dirty company when you leave,....""

Oh, I don't know, maybe you are correct i probably could trust them to not be a dirty company.

Did you turn in your copies as well?

If you read your contact, I am sure you will find it states not only do the original files belong to them but any copies you have made are company porperty.

""They can sue you for soliciting "their" clients, have your old clients file bogus complaints on you (they'll write it and have client sign, then your manager will send it to DOI). It's a dirty company when you leave,....""

Oh, I don't know, maybe you are correct i probably could trust them to not be a dirty company.

Did you turn in your copies as well?

True, I guess I was thinking of actually defending myself from a valid complaint/suit. With how I do business, that wouldn't be hard if I ever had to. They didn't do all that to me personally, but did to another agent I know. The only part I had to deal with was the re-writing of my policies giving me chargebacks. As for the copies, what copies? :1wink:

I would leave them and walk clean. I'd probably add some completely bull hockey files in addition so your replacement wastes time trying to close your "hottest" leads.

But I'm passive aggressive.

We've had this discussion before and I've read your response here, but I still have no idea why breaching a contractual agreement helps protect you or your family. What do the files have to do with anything?

If you need the files they could be subpoenaed.

We've had this discussion before and I've read your response here, but I still have no idea why breaching a contractual agreement helps protect you or your family. What do the files have to do with anything?

If you need the files they could be subpoenaed.

You have more trust in managers and corporations than I do. My first obligation is to my family.

Better to have it/them and not need them. I have used files to "clear things up" before. With out having to have a lawyer to ask someone if they can find the file.

If I write something down or print something it is mine.

Back