Lesson learned

Billy, I'm not assuring that this will work, but I've used it a few times and seems like it turns the light on for the client. This is pertaining to the Dr's office recommending any insurance company.

"Ms. Jones, I don't give out medical advice even though sometimes I could. I am not licensed to do so. Why would you take the advice of someone from the Dr.s office about insurance when they have never had any education to give such advice. I have. I am licensed by the state to give such advice. No one in that office, including the Dr., is qualified to give that advice, nor do they have the license to do so."

Billy, I'm not assuring that this will work, but I've used it a few times and seems like it turns the light on for the client. This is pertaining to the Dr's office recommending any insurance company.

"Ms. Jones, I don't give out medical advice even though sometimes I could. I am not licensed to do so. Why would you take the advice of someone from the Dr.s office about insurance when they have never had any education to give such advice. I have. I am licensed by the state to give such advice. No one in that office, including the Dr., is qualified to give that advice, nor do they have the license to do so."

The majority of people think a doctors office is an expert on insurance because they file insurance claims. Even the folks who file the claims think they are experts. Of course, we know better.

The challenge Billy is having should be addressed during the initial meeting/conversation with the prospect and not after the fact. I typically explain that all plans are identical as required by law. That there are no networks and the only requirement is that the provider accepts Medicare. I will even go on to explain how the Medicare Crossover system works and that technically, a provider doesn't even have to file a claim with the Medicare Supplement company as they will be notified once a claim is processed by Medicare. I explain all of this so as to reinforce that the company in which they have their supplement with is irrelevant as it pertains to claims being paid and it makes no difference whether the person at the doctors office has ever heard of them or not.

Uh, what does the CONTRACT you signed say?

They can promise you a BJ with every reply, but unless it is in WRITING it doesn't mean jacksheet.

You can blame the doc all you want but the problem here is the agent that did not explain the way Medigap works.

You are not gaining the TRUST of your clients. If you were, this would not happen.

In 8 yrs of writing Medigap I have had 2 not taken.

In 40+ yrs of writing health insurance I may have had a dozen not taken. That includes literally thousands of apps.

While it does not happen often I have had this a few times but only 1 time outside of FL & CA, However, I have had this at least half dozen times between CA and FL where the billing Girl at doc office when i 3wayd in was angry arrogant and was sure they did not accept supp from THAT company

One Time I literally has taken someone off a BC PPO at near $90 to plan N for about the same money, The PPO had Huge copays and she had some health Issues and was still passable on Underwriting, I got her approved

She calls me 2 days later to cancel because her doc office told her BC PPO is the best plan in CA and that they do not take Aetna and she would not be covered, So I 3wayed the girl was so nasty to me just kept cutting me off and made it out that I was taking advantage of the elderly and she just kept repeating to the client that BC is the best don't change

The majority of people think a doctors office is an expert on insurance because they file insurance claims. Even the folks who file the claims think they are experts. Of course, we know better.

The challenge Billy is having should be addressed during the initial meeting/conversation with the prospect and not after the fact. I typically explain that all plans are identical as required by law. That there are no networks and the only requirement is that the provider accepts Medicare. I will even go on to explain how the Medicare Crossover system works and that technically, a provider doesn't even have to file a claim with the Medicare Supplement company as they will be notified once a claim is processed by Medicare. I explain all of this so as to reinforce that the company in which they have their supplement with is irrelevant as it pertains to claims being paid and it makes no difference whether the person at the doctors office has ever heard of them or not.

I do it the exact same way, so I assumed he had already done this, but was still running into the problem. I've run into the problem myself and I used my example to "set them straight".

somarco says buying is an emotional process. Maybe not buying is as well.

So maybe the basic issue is finding a way to overcome the consumer's emotion of fear?

finding a way to overcome the consumer's emotion of fear?

That is a tough objection to overcome, especially if it is afer the sale was consumated.

I know some agents "close" numerous times.

I don't.

Easier to move on to the next one rather than beating your head against a wall in hopes of them changing their mind and signing the app.

If I have to "close" someone I don't. If they aren't ready to buy after answering all their questions I tell them to find another agent.

I got an e-mail from a sales manager from the marketing agency explaining to me how competitive the Medicare market is and how I should have done some things differently. I explained to her that I had been using DM for 40 years and I probably know as much or more than she does. No excuse for the low returns. Gave bad advice when recommending Facebook ads, Google and call tracking.

Saw 2 of the leads today. Sold 1 a Plan N. Sold him and his wife life insurance about $4000AP. Paid for the marketing campaign.

Postcardmania is the marketing company that I used to mail the 4000 postcards. I wanted to send 5000, but decided to save postage. Response has been horrible, only got back 8 reply cards so far. The company says they also placed 40,000 ads on Google and 6800 ads on Facebook. It is hard to believe that no one has responded to any of these ads, even Postcardmania don't understand why my phone hasn't rang. Of coarse they say that mailing 1 card is not enough. Should have followed up again. Don't those of you who do DM only mail T65 people once about 6 months out or do you mail those same people again?

Here's something I did that might be additional help... I carried the Medicare and You book around with me... I often asked them to get theirs as well... use the book to educate through the sell...

Just an idea... hope it helps.

At one time your peak response was around the 3rd or 4th mailing from the same list. Returns dimish by the 7th mailing. This was general mailing for life insurance, not for a specific event like a birthday.

These are rough from maybe 8 - 10 years ago. The numbers might have changed some but probably not that much.

T65 Medicare leads are tough to work DM. Those folks get so much mail, especially direct from carriers that it is tough to compete.

That being said there are a few folks here who mail a TON of letters / cards every week and do quite well.

I don't recall the screen name but there was a guy on here that was mailing something like 10,000 pieces every month and had written a lot of business. His avatar was Eddie Murphy as I recall.

Someone will read this and know exactly who it is. You can then read his threads.

But I can tell you a one time mailing won't cut it.

Last AEP my wife, daughter and I each got mail from AARP. We got at least 4 mail drops each over a 2+ month time frame. None of us are prospects, but especially our 33 year old daughter who has not lived here in 8 years.

Back