Liability for family members driving record

Littlefield

We’ve included our son on our Farmers auto insurance for many years. He’s recently had several accidents where he was primarily at fault. As a result, the cost of our policy has doubled. Not only his vehicle but the entire policy. Our agent explained that as the primary policyholder I’m responsible.
I’m going to look for another policy for just my wife and I. Will his record follow me or is there something I can do to isolate myself?

You can have your son move to his own policy with his own vehicle. YOUR policy paid the Claim so the claim stays with your policy until you can show that he is no longer in the household. After he has his own policy you can apply to other carriers and might be able to get the negative information scrubbed as you can show he is a relative no longer in household with own insurance. If Texas allows for Driver Exclusion you can exclude him from your policy which means IF he drives any vehicle on your policy there is no coverage.
Also, can you define "many years"? Does he still use your address on his driver's license? Does he live in your house?

No, he does not live with us. He’s 34 and has always been on our policy for convenience and paid his part. Never thought about the consequences.

No, he does not live with us. He’s 34 and has always been on our policy for convenience and paid his part. Never thought about the consequences.
So here is my professional opinion. You cheated an insurance company out of premium for the years that he did not live with you for convenience purposes. He has had a number of claims on YOUR policy, driving YOUR car, and now you are upset that YOUR premium has been raised. he is 34 years old and should have been on his own policy (if he had a car) or not on a policy at all if he did not own one (and not driving your car). Exclude him from your policy, understand that he cannot drive any vehicle you own or there is no coverage and pay the cost of whatever additional premium your carrier chooses to place on your policy such as a surcharge. They paid, in good faith, claims on your policy and are well within their rights to collect back some of the money paid out. Once he is excluded, go shopping for a new carrier but do not be surprised if the premiums are high.

Anybody you go to for a quote will more than likely ask about these claims when running reports. If he isn't going to be on the policy any longer going forth (and doesn't live with you of course), you can bring this up to the insurance agent at the beginning and more than likely they can scrub this within their own system , basically it will looks past those claims since he no longer lives with you. (still might show when quoted through other carriers)

Anybody you go to for a quote will more than likely ask about these claims when running reports. If he isn't going to be on the policy any longer going forth (and doesn't live with you of course), you can bring this up to the insurance agent at the beginning and more than likely they can scrub this within their own system , basically it will looks past those claims since he no longer lives with you. (still might show when quoted through other carriers)

Data collection is much more sophisticated today than merely looking at a drivers record. CLUE reports will also show claims the named insureds had on their policy whether they were the drivers & also even show claims on the vehicles they own, even if the claims were prior to their ownership of the vehicle.

Data collection is much more sophisticated today than merely looking at a drivers record. CLUE reports will also show claims the named insureds had on their policy whether they were the drivers & also even show claims on the vehicles they own, even if the claims were prior to their ownership of the vehicle.
I was unaware of this, thanks for the info

Back