Life Insurance is a plan and not a product

Col V S Tavathia

When I was hired by my manager, I did not even know what I was hired for, and what I would be expected to do. Once I finished my training and got all my FINRA and Life and Health licenses, then I realized that I was here for sales of Life Insurance. I was very uncomfortable in selling anything I did not understand, and with focus of most managers being on sales sales and sales, it was pretty challenging to start with. I sold my first life insurance policy after the first quarter in production. So, I started with Zero production in first quarter, not a bad idea since only way was to go up. I will be completing 17 years in this business in May this year. I thought I would share a few of my ideas with the brother agents here and hence is this post.
Firstly, if there are grammatical or spelling mistakes in my post please pardon me for English is my second language. I come from India, and one subject most Indians are good is Mathematics. Since my main market is also Asian Indian Community, you have to be good with numbers.
When someone comes to me for purchase of life insurance, my first question to them is why they want to buy life insurance. Many a time I am surprised that people are not clear as to why they want to buy the life insurance. Going through the entire process is neither necessary nor is required at this forum for most people here must be more knowledgeable then me both in knowing Life Insurance as a subject as well as selling. I feel mainly life insurance can be used for two purposes: a. Replacement of Income b. Cash Accumulation. I am more inclined towards Universal Life Products due to the flexibility it gives to the customer. Hence I keep it simple. If the idea is to guarantee the death benefit, I prefer GUL, and if idea is to accumulate a lot of cash through life insurance as a vehicle, then I prefer heavily funded IUL or VUL depending upon the client's risk profile and investment experience.
I would request members on this forum to guide me more on the subject. All your suggestions can be put into practice so long they conform to client's objectives and comfort level.

When I was hired by my manager, I did not even know what I was hired for, and what I would be expected to do. Once I finished my training and got all my FINRA and Life and Health licenses, then I realized that I was here for sales of Life Insurance. I was very uncomfortable in selling anything I did not understand, and with focus of most managers being on sales sales and sales, it was pretty challenging to start with. I sold my first life insurance policy after the first quarter in production. So, I started with Zero production in first quarter, not a bad idea since only way was to go up. I will be completing 17 years in this business in May this year. I thought I would share a few of my ideas with the brother agents here and hence is this post.
Firstly, if there are grammatical or spelling mistakes in my post please pardon me for English is my second language. I come from India, and one subject most Indians are good is Mathematics. Since my main market is also Asian Indian Community, you have to be good with numbers.
When someone comes to me for purchase of life insurance, my first question to them is why they want to buy life insurance. Many a time I am surprised that people are not clear as to why they want to buy the life insurance. Going through the entire process is neither necessary nor is required at this forum for most people here must be more knowledgeable then me both in knowing Life Insurance as a subject as well as selling. I feel mainly life insurance can be used for two purposes: a. Replacement of Income b. Cash Accumulation. I am more inclined towards Universal Life Products due to the flexibility it gives to the customer. Hence I keep it simple. If the idea is to guarantee the death benefit, I prefer GUL, and if idea is to accumulate a lot of cash through life insurance as a vehicle, then I prefer heavily funded IUL or VUL depending upon the client's risk profile and investment experience.
I would request members on this forum to guide me more on the subject. All your suggestions can be put into practice so long they conform to client's objectives and comfort level.
Nice paragraph and welcome to the Forum. :yes:

1. Prospects and clients don't know what they want and they don't know what's really available. I lead with MY objectives for an ideal plan for the client... and attract clients that way.

2. If all they want is "a lot of cash"... life insurance is NOT an investment that will deliver in that way - I don't care how well you fund it.

If they want the TAX ADVANTAGES within a life insurance contract... then we have something to talk about.

Amazon product ASIN B0842YHBT6

Back