Lighting a Fire Under Your Prospects.

John, I do acknowledge there are differences in selling FE vs other products. But when objections are coming up during the "close" it is because of one or more issues that transcend all product lines. 1 - You don't have a qualified prospect 2 - You failed to connect with the prospect 3 - You failed to understand what the prospect wants 4 - Your prospect does not trust you (similar, but different from #2) 5 - Your prospect does not agree with your proposed solution (similar, but different from #4) There are other variations on the above but it all boils down to having a qualified prospect and establishing trust. We will have to disagree on the sticking power of phone vs F2F since I have done both for years and most of my sales the last 20 years have been by phone. I rarely lose an existing client to another agent even when someone comes in behind me with the current hot rate. Perhaps it is because I establish a relationship of trust with my clients. I am sure you are very successful at what you do and I won't attempt to take anything away from that. We just approach our business in different ways and use methods that are successful for our personality. And one other difference. Some people will buy over the phone because they don't want a stranger in their home trying to sell them something, while others feel more comfortable with a live human vs a voice on the phone. Enjoy the holidays my friend.

Still missing the point my friend, don't you primarily sell medsupps and health related products by phone? This op is referring to FE. Big difference, medsupps can be sold effectively on the phone, it's a different and more educated market.

Still missing the point my friend, don't you primarily sell medsupps and health related products by phone? This op is referring to. Big difference, medsupps can be sold effectively on the phone, it's a different and more educated market.

JG, I know of several people on this forum that sell FE successfully, full-time, by phone and Internet. I have written 10 this month by phone, text and email. I got two apps emailed back to me this weekend. And I am not even an FE agent. Not all FE buyers are destitute and ignorant. If we bait our hooks with chicken liver and fish the muddy bottoms we are not going to catch many trout.

However, I concede the big guns here are zero income DM lead F2F runners. Just not the only way.

Last edited:
Years ago I got burned out on insurance and went into home improvement sales (siding, carpet, etc) for about a year. I was taught to quote a ridiculously high price then let them haggle it down. When I got as low as I was authorized I was supposed to call my manager and let them deal with him.

It was all a sham.

I did it for about a week then changed it up.

I gave them my best price right out of the box and told them so. More often than not they bought. My closing (and sticking) ratio was higher than most of the other flim-flam guys.

The manager offered to make me a sales training director to teach other guys to do what I did.

None of them could establish the rapport I did in the first 5 minutes of walking into the home. All they knew how to do was lie and call the manager to close the sale.

During that year I worked with 3 different companies, each one progressively worse than the one before.

Finally decided the insurance business wasn't so bad after all.

I used to have disagreements with drummer boy about different sales styles. He kept saying he could teach anyone to do what I did and I begged to differ.

No, I am not saying I am a super salesman but I do know how to read people and how to give them what they want but I also know how to flip it around to give them what they need.

JG, I know of several people on this forum that sell FE successfully, full-time, by phone and Internet. I have written 10 this month by phone, text and email. I got two apps emailed back to me this weekend. And I am not even an FE agent. Not all FE buyers are destitute and ignorant. If we bait our hooks with chicken liver and fish the muddy bottoms we are not going to catch many trout.

However, I concede the big guns here are zero income DM lead F2F runners. Just not the only way.

I agree completely Wino. You just sported some JB approved poetry there, I can see how you could do that....you got talent my friend, not that Somarco doesnt. But to truly make a full time income selling FE, I mean a really great income I just think its best F2F, just an opinion and we all know what those are compared to.

----------

Years ago I got burned out on insurance and went into home improvement sales (siding, carpet, etc) for about a year. I was taught to quote a ridiculously high price then let them haggle it down. When I got as low as I was authorized I was supposed to call my manager and let them deal with him.

It was all a sham.

I gave them my best price right out of the box and told them so. More often than not they bought. My closing (and sticking) ratio was higher than most of the other flim-flam guys.

The manager offered to make me a sales training director to teach other guys to do what I did.

None of them could establish the rapport I did in the first 5 minutes of walking into the home. All they knew how to do was lie and call the manager to close the sale.

During that year I worked with 3 different companies, each one progressively worse than the one before.

I used to have disagreements with drummer boy about different sales styles. He kept saying he could teach anyone to do what I did and I begged to differ.

No, I am not saying I am a super salesman but I do know how to read people and how to give them what they want but I also know how to flip it around to give them what they need.

Much respect sir, home improvement sales is a tough gig, anyone who can do that for a year has my respect. All of the home improvement companies in Atlanta suck, ever heard of Taylor Construction? LOL, they are big time scammers, I kicked them out of my house.....twice:twitchy:

----------

It was all a sham.

By the way, I can read people pretty well too, I was the top rep in the country for 6 years in a row in the heavy cleaning and restoration equipment industry....as far as I know no one has even come close to beating any of my 6 years, not one! I put a lot of steel on the road as the President of the company put it...it was a great experience but Id rather sell FE:yes:

You are right JG, I don't sell FE.

I also don't sell F2F, but I know people who sell FE by phone and are successful. I don't know for sure but I suspect they know how to qualify people by

No kidding thru pre qualify on the phone and sell on the phone. How else would they do it.
Door knock to set a phone appointment

JG, my old manager from Dixie Homecrafters (Gutter Guard) here in Philly moved to Georgia to be the sales manager at Taylor Construction. From your description, I see why they hired him. He is hardcore to the bone. When people would complain about our high pressure sales tactics, he would chuckle and remark, "Guess they didn't figure we were sending a closer out there.";) But I guess we are all like that a little bit. Get in the house and go for the gold!

JG, my old manager from Dixie Homecrafters (Gutter Guard) here in Philly moved to Georgia to be the sales manager at Taylor Construction. From your description, I see why they hired him. He is hardcore to the bone. When people would complain about our high pressure sales tactics, he would chuckle and remark, "Guess they didn't figure we were sending a closer out there.";) But I guess we are all like that a little bit. Get in the house and go for the gold!

How many times did you sell that excess siding in the warehouse that was left over from a huge job that was just completed? I mean, they usually put a good discount on it.:D

How many times did you sell that excess siding in the warehouse that was left over from a huge job that was just completed? I mean, they usually put a good discount on it.:D
Absolutely. Also, we had to keep the crews busy. Otherwise , we'd just be payin' 'em to sit around!:1laugh:

Yep I know him, couple of people with him when he left Dixie tried to start another company, they got the hell sued out of them...then he landed at Taylor, pretty nice guy actually. I threw them out years before he was there lol. But I did end up buying from a guy that was a little more laid back, and yes he made his one call close with me :)

Back