Like to Like - OEP

YOu cannot switch from a MAPD to a MA with stand alone PDP, During the OEP. YOu can only swtich LIKE to LIKE. MAPD is not like MA and stand alone.

Senior,

I did this very thing in 2007. Don't know if the rules have changed for 2008. But I can say for a fact that I did it more than once from 01/01/07-03/31/07.

Cross sell. I would drive all over town for $50 PDP commiss. I have the lowest med supp premiums and best MA plans in the state.

Have at it. The only way I'm driving to someone's house is if I know I will be trying to enroll in more than a PDP. I will clarify that on the phone before making the trip (i.e. - MA, Med Supp, etc.). I do A LOT of cross selling. My best case thus far is an MA/PDP sale that has turned into over $600k in annuity rollovers.

Have at it. The only way I'm driving to someone's house is if I know I will be trying to enroll in more than a PDP. I will clarify that on the phone before making the trip (i.e. - MA, Med Supp, etc.). I do A LOT of cross selling. My best case thus far is an MA/PDP sale that has turned into over $600k in annuity rollovers.

Congrats on the big annuity sale. Do you do that often. I am sure 600k isn't often but do you sell alot of annuities. My best was a med supp, cross sold 170k in annuity and she referred me to her friend where I sold a med supp and a 90k annuity. I need to figure out a better way to sell more annuities though.

Congrats on the big annuity sale. Do you do that often. I am sure 600k isn't often but do you sell alot of annuities. My best was a med supp, cross sold 170k in annuity and she referred me to her friend where I sold a med supp and a 90k annuity. I need to figure out a better way to sell more annuities though.

This was actually 13 annuities over the course of the last 2 years. I do a good bit of cross selling. I didn't start in the senior market, it has just evolved. So I've been able to sell my securities clients Med Supps, MA's and PDP's and vice-versa. I think the key is just letting them know what you do and don't let the Med Supp or MA sell be your last contact with them. I try and keep my name in front of them. I call on a regular basis just to check on them. It's getting harder though. My goal has been to build a few different streams of revenue (Investment trails, Health insurance renewals and Med Supp renewals). I have each of those at healthy levels. Not quite where I want them yet, but getting there.

This was actually 13 annuities over the course of the last 2 years. I do a good bit of cross selling. I didn't start in the senior market, it has just evolved. So I've been able to sell my securities clients Med Supps, MA's and PDP's and vice-versa. I think the key is just letting them know what you do and don't let the Med Supp or MA sell be your last contact with them. I try and keep my name in front of them. I call on a regular basis just to check on them. It's getting harder though. My goal has been to build a few different streams of revenue (Investment trails, Health insurance renewals and Med Supp renewals). I have each of those at healthy levels. Not quite where I want them yet, but getting there.

I'm rewinding back to the topic @ hand and spoke with a trainer from BCBS and he said you can do any flavor. Also spoke with a very seasoned agent in the health business and she advised the same going and or switching to any flavor of MApd during OEP.

Spoke with a few other sources and different answer on like to like, meaning MAPDP PFFS to MAPDP PFFS. ??? !!!!!

For whatever reason, I don't feel very confident still and I'm not sure what it would take to convince me at this point. Too many last minute details ..... too close to the selling season and nobody seems to know for sure or has to look into it because of the fear of providing the wrong information - CYA... sort of a thing.

So, has anybody from this board switched a client from a MAPDP (any flavor : (pffs, hmo, ppo, snp, etc. etc.) to a MAPDP of a different flavor from the preceding list in perentheses? IE> client had Humana MAPDP PPO and you changed it to Wellcare MAPDP PFFS during the OEP earlier this year. Did ou have success and get paid?

Will these new rules apply this year for 08 year?

08 book says NOTHING on this in detail!

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
I'm gonna venture to step out and disagree with Rick again.....

I think you would clear up some confusion if you realize the intent of the rules for OEP. You cannot pick up or drop a Prescription Drug Plan during this time. Now, think about what you are doing. If you have a client with a MAPD, and you want to put him in a MA and stand-alone PDP, he will be dis-enrolled from the MAPD in order to enroll in the new PDP. This is not allowed! You are not only dropping one PDP (included in the MAPD), but you are then attempting to pick up a new PDP (doubly wrong!!).

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Back