Little one on the way need advice

MidRoad

Hey folks first post, looking for some advice on what to do for health insurance. Here's the scoop:

-unmarried couple
-little one due Oct 14th
-childs mother turns 26 end of October, at 26 she will no longer be able to be on her parents health insurance
-the couple live together, but on paper reside with family at separate places
-mother of child just finished college in May, is taking board exams next month, but his no job leads. Currently not employed. So not sure if mother will have a job by the time the child arrives
-father of child works, makes 55k a year
-health insurance through father's work is CDPHP, $400 a month for father+ child, just under $800 a month for family plan, but to do a family plan the parents would have to get married (not out of the question)

Need advice on the best route to take.

Stay separate on paper and try to have the mother and child go on their own with Medicaid?

Change addresses so they reside together and still try for Medicaid?

Put the child on the father's insurance and try to figure out something for the mother? What options would the mother have if she is unemployed and home taking care of the child?

Get married and do a family plan, paying 800 a month for insurance and struggle to make ends meet?

No one involved wants to be fraudulent, timing is tough and finances are finite, and relatively tight as it is. Advise greatly appreciated, insurance is very confusing.

Hey folks first post, looking for some advice on what to do for health insurance. Here's the scoop:

-unmarried couple
-little one due Oct 14th
-childs mother turns 26 end of October, at 26 she will no longer be able to be on her parents health insurance
-the couple live together, but on paper reside with family at separate places
-mother of child just finished college in May, is taking board exams next month, but his no job leads. Currently not employed. So not sure if mother will have a job by the time the child arrives
-father of child works, makes 55k a year
-health insurance through father's work is CDPHP, $400 a month for father+ child, just under $800 a month for family plan, but to do a family plan the parents would have to get married (not out of the question)

Need advice on the best route to take.

Stay separate on paper and try to have the mother and child go on their own with Medicaid?

Change addresses so they reside together and still try for Medicaid?

Put the child on the father's insurance and try to figure out something for the mother? What options would the mother have if she is unemployed and home taking care of the child?

Get married and do a family plan, paying 800 a month for insurance and struggle to make ends meet?

No one involved wants to be fraudulent, timing is tough and finances are finite, and relatively tight as it is. Advise greatly appreciated, insurance is very confusing.

Congratulations on the expected bundle of joy. Just so happens to be due on my wedding anniversary. Strongly suggest marriage, it works well if you're willing to work it.

^its probably too late to being chastising for a baby that’s almost here. What’s done is done.

Anyways If it were me I’d try to get married quickly, get on the husbands insurance (he probably could look around for something cheaper than $800/month)

Plan b would be to have the kid on the fathers insurance

And absolute last resort is Medicaid simply because I’m not a fan of using government resources unless it’s desperate times kind of thing. Which depending on where you live 55k for 3 people is doable just gotta cut back to the bare minimum until more income comes in.

And next time around try to get maternity/paternity leave, short term disability during/after pregnancy.

*disclaimer I’m not licensed in health these are just my opinions

Last edited:
Then you had no business having a baby if you couldn't afford one.

Totally irresponsible and now you want the taxpayer to pay for medical coverage.
Didn't come here to be criticized . Your input is not helpful by any means. The pregnancy was not planned, the relationship is 6 years and going. The mother was on the pill. We were planning on having a child within two years ,after she had secured a job with her degree. But life happens and this is the situation. Folks at work/family has suggested maybe trying Medicare/medicaid or child health plus. We have no idea where to start with that stuff, nor the requirements. Hence why I came to a forum that may have folks familiar with the workings. Again not here to be ridiculed ,that doesn't help at all.

Last edited:
Congratulations on the expected bundle of joy. Just so happens to be due on my wedding anniversary. Strongly suggest marriage, it works well if you're willing to work it.

Thanks! We are very excited despite getting the finances in order. We are now about 2 years ahead of the five year plan..... As for marriage we both are for it, and it may just come down to that.

Have the baby on Mom & Dad's plan, switch baby to Father of child upon delivery. Mother of child finds a job or takes some type of employment to help pay for switch to father of baby health insurance. Couple gets married and doesn't waste money on service or celebration, mother of baby now on husband's policy

Back