Long Term Care Policy Denial- Please Advise

I am a very healthy 5'9" 132# non-smoking non-drinking female with no health problems except some arthritis in my left knee from an old sports injury. I work 10-hr shifts as a Nurse; sometimes get cortisone injections in that left knee so I can stay active with hiking, cycling, etc. I applied for a traditional policy with genworth and was denied because of the cortisone injections in my knee. I appealed and was denied again. My agent is saying that probably means a blanket declination from all carriers for a traditional policy, wants to sell me a whole life policy with an LTC rider (about half the coverage for double the price). Can someone please advise me if there's anything else I can do to get approved for a traditional policy? I am still working, very healthy.

I would highly recommend that you contact LTCAdvisor about this. Jack is an expert when it comes to LTCI. If anyone can help you he can. With the amount of LTCI policies he sells each year, Id be surprised if he has not come across this exact same medical condition before multiple times.

I would also recommend the two carriers that he suggested. They both have the most stable rates in the industry. Genworth has had some of the most unstable rates and has had big time financial issues recently. I personally do not sell Genworth based on their financial issues. Your policy would not be in jeopardy because of their financials, but bad financials could potentially encourage future rate increases.

I am a very healthy 5'9" 132# non-smoking non-drinking female with no health problems except some arthritis in my left knee from an old sports injury. I work 10-hr shifts as a Nurse; sometimes get cortisone injections in that left knee so I can stay active with hiking, cycling, etc. I applied for a traditional policy with genworth and was denied because of the cortisone injections in my knee. I appealed and was denied again. My agent is saying that probably means a blanket declination from all carriers for a traditional policy, wants to sell me a whole life policy with an LTC rider (about half the coverage for double the price). Can someone please advise me if there's anything else I can do to get approved for a traditional policy? I am still working, very healthy.

I COMPLETELY agree with scagent83 - Jack at LTC Advisor is the best when it comes to this kind of stuff. If anyone can get you approved, it's him. He will tell you straight and has relationships with all of the main player. Just call Jack, you will not be disappointed!

How often do you get the cortisone ?

Tihis will be important as to whether or not there are ace een get other options.

I have been getting cortisone injections every three months. I can hold off though, and it sounds like I'd better if I want to get an LTC policy. Thank you for your interest and advice. I am watching this thread closely.

----------

I COMPLETELY agree with scagent83 - Jack at LTC Advisor is the best when it comes to this kind of stuff. If anyone can get you approved, it's him. He will tell you straight and has relationships with all of the main player. Just call Jack, you will not be disappointed!
Many thanks - I will give jack a call!

----------

Unfortunately, I am not licensed in CA. You are getting some good advice here from other agents. You should have had something from Genworth explaining their rationale and appeal process or when they would reconsider. As someone mentioned time between shots.

I might
look for another agent as one and done seems rushed.

One thing and forgive me, but I work with a lot of nurses, make sure you're only mentioning conditions that have diagnosed by a MD. I know far too many nurses who self diagnose conditions and that can hurt the application process. Now this may not apply to you specifically, but only disclose MD findings.
Thanks for this advice. Actually, I rather understated than overstated in my application; I did mention the arthritis in the knee but did not mention the cortisone injections, which is where all the trouble started....and actually I had no idea ongoing cortisone injections would pose such a big problem. Live and learn. I am learning tons and getting good leads from this forum - thanks to all.

I have been getting cortisone injections every three months. I can hold off though, and it sounds like I'd better if I want to get an LTC policy. Thank you for your interest and advice. I am watching this thread closely.

This is where you need the advice of an agent that is experienced in LTC.

Did the agent show you any hybrid plans ?

I have a similar knee problem, have you ever done viscosupplementation ?

Yes I have, 2 full courses, unfortunately ineffective.
Yes, my agent did show me some hybrid plans, with One America, Asset Care levels. Much more expensive for much less coverage.

originally posted by helenium

Yes I have, 2 full courses, unfortunately ineffective.
Yes, my agent did show me some hybrid plans, with One America, Asset Care levels. Much more expensive for much less coverage.

There's no guarantee that you would pass underwriting with a hybrid policy.

Latest posts

Back