Looking for a Mentor in Group Health Insurance

I agree with everything posted here as feedback. My best advice is 1) develop more and deeper contacts with your group carriers, 2) share a couple larger (25+ or 50+) groups with a seasoned group broker (or MGA) and 3) mentor yourself by studying as much as possible. A few resources would be HIAA exam textbooks, iscebs.org and definitely the book, The Handbook of Employee Benefits by Jerry Rosenbloom. If you have time, take part 1 of the CEBS exams and go to the class.

Some small group carrier reps aren't great; that's true but, generally, the Sales Managers or Directors they work for are decent professionals.

Besides your sales/service reps, I'd strongly encourage the OP to contact his/her carriers' Sales Management staff.

-Make the call.
-Go to their office
-Speak kindly of their staff you have worked with
-Tell them you want to build a solid business partnership

Ask them questions including their preferred industries, etc..., but, most importantly, ask them what makes an agent a successful partner of their company. Don't as them about commission schedules and bonus programs.

Ask for their help. Most of them know that broker development is an important part of their job.

I was a group rep and manager for several years and, as a Sales Manager, I would never, ever turn down any agent who wanted 30 minutes of my time on the basis I laid out.

At the same time, you cannot substitute for the street experience of a seasoned, successful group broker.

Good luck!

Back