Looking For a Whole Life Policy

I hear they toast with the Beast. About all those new agents they can afford.

Again I ask, is there worst punishment than being made to pay your own way to Milwaukee in August?

Somehow I after 29 pages I am seeing this thread for the first time......if I would have known that there was this much silliness going on over here I would I threw in my two cents awhile ago.....here they are anyway......

This conversation is reminding my old NML days and the average peronsa of the mostly younger field-force at mother mutual. During my NML days I was fortunate enough to speak at company meetings and was regulary in the top 50-100 producers, however unlike most of the kool-aid drinkers who idiolized the company's top 20 guys who are recognized up on stage at annual-meeting, so many times I was ashamed to be associated with the same company as many of these top guys because of their all too often one-sided industry rhetoric they would spew while putting on full display their overall distasteful, egomaniac personalities.....and many of the GA's were worse! Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of really good people and good ole boys with great intentions who are producers at NML.....however there are also far too many guys doing lots of premium who know very little of our industry outside of what mother mutual or the American College feeds them. My biggest criticism of the average NML producer is that they are completely oblivious to the fact that this LIFE INSURANCE they have so much pride for has generally the lowest IRR on death benefit in the industry......all they want to talk about is cash-value IRR.........we should be selling permanent death benefit and the fact is NML's death benefit is the most expensive.

Chuck has spoken about NML's great cash-value IRR, which on illusions...I mean illustrations they are always the highest of all whole life companies. However he obviously doesn't understand one key point.....although NML indeed usually does have the highest cash-value IRR however it is one of the more expensive companies if you actually ever need to access any of the cash. I'll stay away from the whole direct recognition point to point out something I feel is more basic and important here.....NML's loan rate is amongst the highest in the industry at 8%.....who cares how great the cash-value....what it always comes down to is what am I "paying" to access my own money. In a lower dividend environment like Northwestern has seen recently, as they dividend rate is now lower than both Guardian and Mass's, this makes a real difference.

Last edited:
No, this is not wrong. Did i ever put a time table on my statement? All I said is that you cash out your 401k and later put it into an IRA. I never said right away I never said 61 days later. I was not going into all the details regarding a 401k rollover because that is not what this discussion is about. It is about 1035ing life insurance cash values.
Oh man, can you say pack pedal. Please admit, if to no one else than at least yourself, that was terribly weak.

He was asking how putting all those dollars into a new contract would not make it MEC. I chose an easy to understand analogy, please go back and look at the definition, about how funding limits can be overcome in certain situations. In this case I used IRA contribution limit along with life insurance funding limits for better understanding.
Kind of like WL is like buying a house and term is like renting, ay?

Look, the reason a 1035 can avoid MEC status and the use of a rollover IRA to receive qualified funds have absolutely nothing to do with one another. Rollover IRA's are different IRA's, look at a darn B/D's new business paperwork. If you're not registered, ask someone in your office who is. You'll notice there are different boxes to check off.

If you truly understand securities and cash value insurance products, this analogy seems silly. If you know people who work in compliance and like his/her jobs a bit too much, to know this analogy is dangerous to your future in the industry. I'm not even subject to the long arm of FINRA any longer and I wouldn't go making this sort of statement.

I'm sorry but I do this all the time and guess what it actually works. You can't run NML ledgers so how would you even know if it is possible with them or not? So here is how it is done. (look at the attached ledger for clarification) Prospect has a $50,000 universal life policy with say $5000 in cash value. Death benefit isn't rising, cash value not doing what was illustrated, doesn't like that the policy could collapse in on itself down the road, whatever it is we look at replacing it. I write a $30,000 db whole life policy and 1035 over the $5000 in cash. Now with those funds coming into the policy it bumps up the death benefit to a little over $50,000 right away, making it guaranteed. Being a whole life policy this DB is not going to go away in fact it is going to grow with dividends. Plus the cash value is guaranteed to grow and it can't be eaten up by expenses and go to nothing like old universal life policies can. How is this bad for the prospect?
All right, because I've been accused in the past of taking things out of context, I'm pasting the whole thing to let you know I read it all, but now I'm going to break it down a bit and speak to some individual pieces here. Hopefully that will past muster with you.
You can't run NML ledgers so how would you even know if it is possible with them or not?
I got a pretty good kick out of this. Is this the new sales training for competition at NML? You can't run my products, you don't what we got! I've sold my fair share of insurance and I've sold several contracts from a few different companies, as well as run quotes from many many more. I've been in competitive situations with NML and I've not found them to be a stand out. I also have had access to particulars concerning elements of NML's contracts, so I think I can speak intelligently (isn't that key phraseology on the NML web site for default agent pages?) about what you're doing.

Prospect has a $50,000 universal life policy with say $5000 in cash value. Death benefit isn't rising, cash value not doing what was illustrated, doesn't like that the policy could collapse in on itself down the road, whatever it is we look at replacing it.
Ok, first we were talking about replacing a 10 pay WL policy 10 years down the the road, but now we're talking about a 50k UL policy that was purchased who cares how many years ago, fine we can change the playing field a bit. Couple of things:

Again, you've now dropped the guaranteed db down to 30k If the prospect decides to yank the 5k out the UL db might be reduced dollar for dollar leaving 45k. If we yank (note not lend out) the 5k from the NML policy our db drops to 30k, or there about. How is this better, again?

Now with those funds coming into the policy it bumps up the death benefit to a little over $50,000 right away, making it guaranteed. Being a whole life policy this DB is not going to go away in fact it is going to grow with dividends. Plus the cash value is guaranteed to grow and it can't be eaten up by expenses and go to nothing like old universal life policies can. How is this bad for the prospect?
Now, you'd think yourself wise to say, but if we did a policy loan the reduction in db would be the same. But what if you were dealing with a UL that had a wash loan provision, and if it were in it's 10th + policy year, there's a good chance it could be. How is NML's rather terrible use of Direct Recognition (and that's not an attack on DR, simply a criticism of how NML does it) going to keep up without a net increased outlay from the client?

As far as cash value being eaten up by UL fees, your hypothetical client is 37. No 37 year old is in need of serious worry about UL COI eating his or her cash value, even if he or she owns the crappiest UL out there.

And FYI: cash value in UL is guaranteed to increase as well, it's just the expenses that sometimes, much later in life for a very poorly funded policy, that tear down the cash balance.

And before you go suggesting I'm a UL proponent, I'd suggest you take some time to look around the Life Insurance forum concerning other times I've been involved in conversations about UL. Or ask SCAgent about my position on UL (haaaa!). ;-)

Look at the illustration, I prove it right there. Looks like i understand my contracts perfectly. Also you are correct, there is a small cost to moving the money, but it is still in the better of the interest of the client in the long run. You say you don't care about long term projections, so I take it you just tell your clients they are screwed and to live with it?
No, first and foremost I'm in the business of risk management, not in the business of trying to pimp cash value life insurance for ROR. Sure I believe cash balances in life contracts is a very sweet thing. But I'm not about to rip down something just because the contract doesn't have my Company's name on it (or in my case my favorite or most used company's name) and my illustration says if they replace they'll have more money. There's a lot more to look at than just the dividend performance from a ROR point of view and which ledger shows the largest number in 40 years.

You are comparing two completely different animals. Life insurance cash value and dividends vs investments. Investments swing wildly up and down all the time both positive and negative. You can't have a negative dividend against a whole life positive. Each year the policy is guaranteed to grow in cash value, as long as you don't take it all out with surrenders and loans. So not sure where your whole "As soon as you have a bad year or two, you're toast." plays into things. Of course you think there are better options, because NML IS NOT an option for you. However you cannot deny their policy performance. Third party pieces confirm it, it is not just a spin that NML puts on.
The bad year reference was regarding NML or any company that touts dividend performance falling below competitors for dividend rate. If I buy you because you pay a high dividend, and then you stop paying a high dividend, maybe it's time to buy someone else. There are some pretty big competitors to NML who have been around just as long and longer and paying dividends just as long or longer, so the historical pitch doesn't really work.

I mentioned the other items to reference the fact that no one really knows. Haven't they taught you not to worry about the things you can't control? Or does NML avoid that since dividend performance would be one of those things and they love to talk about that.

Yes, NML is not an option for me. Several years ago I looked at going career with them. Decided not to. I've been in a few competitive situations with them, and never regretted that they weren't an option. But hey, being a fanboy for a company can sometimes be a good thing. It builds an energy that people will buy regardless. But for stop with the dumb analogies and just focus on doing the right thing.

(PS: I've sent you a PM concerning something you should address immediately, trust me you'd be wise to take my advice on this one. I'm not going to call it out here, because there's no need to call attention to it)

Last edited:
And before you go suggesting I'm a UL proponent, I'd suggest you take some time to look around the Life Insurance forum concerning other times I've been involved in conversations about UL. Or ask SCAgent about my position on UL (haaaa!).

lol. Yes, he is a WL guy through and through.... I think I was supposed to send him some UL software so he could actually run some UL illustrations sometime... :1wink:
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
NML's loan rate is amongst the highest in the industry at 8%.....who cares how great the cash-value....what it always comes down to is what am I "paying" to access my own money. In a lower dividend environment like Northwestern has seen recently, as they dividend rate is now lower than both Guardian and Mass's, this makes a real difference.

Exactly, I pointed this out a few times... who cares if you have a bit more $ when it cost you more to access it!

If you found "the best policy" for each variable thats important to a PI policy, you would have 8 different policies.

The key is to find a well rounded policy.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Chuck,
I exited the conversation because you refuse to be impartial in your views.

You have asked me for an illustration; after going back and actually reading your post, I see what your talking about.
I will give you a 4% illustration, but you have to show me an illustration first:

Show me a 45 year old in top health, with a CV of $500K at age 70.
Distributions start at age 70 & are level to age 100, and max out the distributions.

Lets see how well NWM performs when it comes to income.

I will show a comparison with the same CV at age 70.... and your requested illustration (which still does not look shabby at all)

Last edited:
I've read several posts started by others and greatly appreciate the time other people have put into educating us consumers. My situation is similar to threads started by mx_599, johnyblu, slick_spe3, and luxlux. Quick background:

- Married healthy male 31, one child, a second on the way (might qualify for the highest tier, definitely should qualify for the preferred tier, using term4sale's mini calculator).
- Have an emergency fund, and am maxing out 401k and Roth IRA.
- Plan to keep this new policy long term.
- Cash value accumulation is of primary importance, death benefit is an important but secondary benefit.
- Would like to "front fund" the policy as much as possible without triggering MEC.
- In 10 years or so, I would like the flexibility to stop paying all premiums (primary concern). If possible, would like the option to continue funding to grow the cash value as well.
- Basically, will treat the WL policy as a conservative part of my after tax investment portfolio, so cash value accumulation (and associated IRR) is the most important factor for me.

From what I've read, a 10 pay WL policy with a term rider and the maximum amount of paid up additions is the route I should go. Does anyone have any other suggestions for my situation?

Specific questions:

1) What happens at the end of a 10 pay WL policy? Am I able to continue to add to the policy? How do I make sure I don't put too much into it and make it a MEC?
2) How important is a disability rider? Would it be less expensive to get a separate disability policy?
3) I haven't been able to find much on the variance in the IRR from different companies. Shouldn't I focus on companies that have historically had a higher IRR?

Thanks for your help!

from experience I recommend that you look around for the best policy out there, as there are too many to choose from.

Back