Looking for SGA contract for MAPDs

I can assure you that my clients in areas where it would be a long distance call, use my toll-free number as evidenced by my monthly bill. I can see a time in the future where it will be irrelevant as everyone transitions away from land lines. But until that day comes, I will continue with my toll-free number so my clients and prospective clients don't have to spend money to do business with me.

You have clients that don't have a cell phone?

Seriously...getting an 800 number has never occurred to me.

I thought most landlines included long distance as well? I know mine does, not that I ever use it.

You have clients that don't have a cell phone?

Seriously...getting an 800 number has never occurred to me.

I didn't say they don't have a cell phone. But there are plenty of "seniors" who don't use a cell phone exclusively. My in-laws are a perfect example of what I'm talking about. They have a cell phone, but are technologically challenged. My father in-law doesn't know how to check his voice mail on his cell phone. They use their home phone (land line) more often than their cell phone. On the flip side, my parents don't have a land line, but they are younger than my in-laws.

As for having a toll-free number, I have clients all over the state of Georgia
(It's not all local in the state) some in Alabama, Florida, Texas, North Carolina and South Carolina. Like I said, I don't want to make my clients or prospects have to spend money to do business with me. For example, if you mail an application to a potential or existing client to be signed and returned to you, do you include a postage paid envelope? I'm guessing you do. If so, why? That's a rhetorical question. We do that so that they'll mail it back to us. If they had to pay postage, there's a chance the application wouldn't be returned. By the same token, if a prospect had to pay for a long distance call (assuming they don't use their cell phone) they may not call me.

I've had a toll-free number for more than 15 years. I think it's been 17-18 years. That's a lifetime as far as technology is concerned. More and more of the turning 65 clients I acquire no longer have a land line. So I see a day when I may end the toll-free number. But for now I will keep it since I have clients who use it.

I didn't say they don't have a cell phone. But there are plenty of "seniors" who don't use a cell phone exclusively. My in-laws are a perfect example of what I'm talking about. They have a cell phone, but are technologically challenged. My father in-law doesn't know how to check his voice mail on his cell phone. They use their home phone (land line) more often than their cell phone. On the flip side, my parents don't have a land line, but they are younger than my in-laws.

As for having a toll-free number, I have clients all over the state of Georgia
(It's not all local in the state) some in Alabama, Florida, Texas, North Carolina and South Carolina. Like I said, I don't want to make my clients or prospects have to spend money to do business with me. For example, if you mail an application to a potential or existing client to be signed and returned to you, do you include a postage paid envelope? I'm guessing you do. If so, why? That's a rhetorical question. We do that so that they'll mail it back to us. If they had to pay postage, there's a chance the application wouldn't be returned. By the same token, if a prospect had to pay for a long distance call (assuming they don't use their cell phone) they may not call me.

I've had a toll-free number for more than 15 years. I think it's been 17-18 years. That's a lifetime as far as technology is concerned. More and more of the turning 65 clients I acquire no longer have a land line. So I see a day when I may end the toll-free number. But for now I will keep it since I have clients who use it.

I am certainly not questioning that you need it or that you aren't doing it because it's what best for your clients.

It just seriously never occurred to me.

SGA contracts are difficult to come by out of the gate, as most carriers require NEW production of 1k apps a year. We can get you started with a GA or MGA level contract and work with you to recruit and build production that would justify an SGA contract. 602-321-9700

Alex

I didn't say they don't have a cell phone. But there are plenty of "seniors" who don't use a cell phone exclusively. My in-laws are a perfect example of what I'm talking about. They have a cell phone, but are technologically challenged. My father in-law doesn't know how to check his voice mail on his cell phone. They use their home phone (land line) more often than their cell phone.

:D ( and I can't read the text messages on those colored backgrounds.)

About once a quarter. "Dad, I really think you need to quit with the land line." :yes:

Last edited:
I thought most landlines included long distance as well? I know mine does, not that I ever use it.

My ATT landline had an extra charge for Long Distance for awhile. I used to have to have someone call me, or borrow my wife's cell phone to deal with out of area calls.

My ATT landline had an extra charge for Long Distance for awhile. I used to have to have someone call me, or borrow my wife's cell phone to deal with out of area calls.

Had, HAD.

How long ago was that? I remember full well paying per minute for long distance. I remember the old ads too for the dial around plans, don't recall the correct name for them. But you'd have to enter a code and then you would get billed by that company versus your phone provider.

I think within a couple of years. It was that way for several years.Another agent referred to her COO in a recent post. My COO made changes in my/our plan a couple of years ago and now it is minute based-if he'd not made those changes it would still be a monthly charge landline with local use only.

And I don't know about codes. As far as I know, anything other than local (outbound) was totally blocked.

Back