Lukemia Coverage

Bob_The_Insurance_Guy

Guru
1000 Post Club
Decatur, Ga.
Met a man today, who lost his job, and his benefits run out next Friday. To make matters worse, his wife was diagnosed with Lukemia, and has already been through treatment.

Anything I could do for him/her?

I feel for the man. Could a discount drug card help with the meds, at least?

Beyond that, anything?

Met a man today, who lost his job, and his benefits run out next Friday. To make matters worse, his wife was diagnosed with Lukemia, and has already been through treatment.

Anything I could do for him/her?

I feel for the man. Could a discount drug card help with the meds, at least?

Beyond that, anything?

I'd check into PAP. Somarco has some great links on his website. Additionally, I believe there are a few foundations that help people with that condition.

Bob -

She can contact Keisha Lewis at the DOI. (404) 656-2144

Keisha will assign her to a carrier, most likely Blue. They will put her on an indemnity plan for about 3x the cost of COBRA but better than nothing.

Check out the PAP options on my web page. Might be something there.

And this is another possibility.

None of the options are good, but better than nothing.

In his situation it's almost imperative that he gets a job while he still have credible coverage. If my wife was diagnosed with lukemia and I lost my job I would literally take anything and go on 5 interviews a day JUST to get a job with benefits. Then when he has the job he can relax and look around more for a job that might fit exactly what he's looking. I'd be working the 1am shift as Taco Bell's new ass't manager if it meant my wife had coverage for lukemia.

In his situation it's almost imperative that he gets a job while he still have credible coverage. If my wife was diagnosed with lukemia and I lost my job I would literally take anything and go on 5 interviews a day JUST to get a job with benefits. Then when he has the job he can relax and look around more for a job that might fit exactly what he's looking. I'd be working the 1am shift as Taco Bell's new ass't manager if it meant my wife had coverage for lukemia.

Hell yeah. don't forget to take care of your friends at the drive-thru window ;)

John,

That's easier said than done. I facilitate a Job Seekers group and will tell you, these people DO apply for part time work. Even the fast food places don't automatically hire them. Same holds true with the IRS, or overnight work with UPS or Bank of America.

You are talking about mid- to upper- level corporate executives, who apply for part time, minimum wage work, and just don't get hired. The lowlifes at these places don't hire them, because they don't want to be upstaged by their work ethic.

The only people that want to hire them are either straight commission sales jobs that don't offer benefits for the first 60 to 90 days, or places that work them M-F, 8-6, where they can't get any time to look around.

We are going to agree to disagree.

We are fortunate to be in a profession, where only we can fire ourselves. Others are not in that situation.

I won't waste any more of my breath, convincing you of the other side of the debate.

Hey I'm with ya. My wife got laid off from Nations Bank by Bank of America when they bought them out. Here's the trap she was in - she did admin work for Nations Bank for 13 years and through a series of pay raises was making pretty darned good money - especially for admin work. When she was laid off she was one of a ton of people applying for any admin job that hit the paper....for a nice 60% pay cut over what she was used to making AND the jobs didn't offer benefits. She ended up working a a daycare with no benefits and about $12 an hour less than Nationbank. If she would have had a major illness she would have been screwed.

All I'm saying is at least fight.

ps: Bank of America fired my wife and her entire department the 2nd week of December so they wouldn't have to pay her the end of the year stock bonus. Merry Christmas.

For a tip, if it gets real rough he can get into car sales. Normally the application process to be a car salesman involves a stethascope and almost every major lot offers full benefits and a draw. That would be my recommendation for your client if the ****'s about to hit the fan.

In many county school systems, you can be a bus driver working 2-3 hours in the morning and 2-3 hours in the afternoon.
I have a close friend that something happened to and he did this then did his other business around the bus schedule. Weekends and summer off.

Back