MA & Indemnity Plans

My Medicare book is 75 to 80% Supplements and the rest MAPD. Many of the MAPD clients would gladly pay the price of a supplement if they could get approved. But no one will take them.

I have an appointment today. He's on MAPD with Anthem. Doesn't like it. He would gladly take a Plan N but had a heart stint placed 6-months ago.

It would be nice if Humana or Anthem had a $150 per month MAPD option with $10 co-pays and $100 per hospital admission. It would sell. But it would have all the unhealthy people that couldn't get approved for a supplement as the buyers.

Must be nice to have $80 plan N's but we live in reality where plan N's can greatly fluctuate.

And how can anyone say it's NEVER right for someone?
How about when a plan refunds $80 of their part B premium? $0 generic drugs. Help during the donut hole. Then $40 for a indemnity plan?

So that's negative $40 for that option or $133 plus a $18 drug plan for option B. Never says never ;)

Last edited:
I agree on the never part. I have 250 clients that feel the MAPD plus GTL is a better option and have been on it for years.

Must be nice to have $80 plan N's but we live in reality where plan N's can greatly fluctuate.

And how can anyone say it's NEVER right for someone?
How about when a plan refunds $80 of their part B premium? $0 generic drugs. Help during the donut hole. Then $40 for a indemnity plan?

So that's negative $40 for that option or $133 plus a $18 drug plan for option B. Never says never ;)

Must have missed the dollar for dollar part. :biggrin: Sometimes a deal such as described above is awesome. At the end of the day, it only matters what the client thinks anyway, which is why I present both and let them choose. I still think an indemnity plan isn't a good value, but that of course is my opinion. Our overall health out here is also superior to most places and I have very few clients report hospital stays.

which is why I present both and let them choose. I still think an indemnity plan isn't a good value, but that of course is my opinion. Our overall health out here is also superior to most places and I have very few clients report hospital stays.

Let the client choose. What a novel idea. I might have to give that a try.

The only carrier I use that allows me some claim info is Equitable. Most claims are Part B. Almost never see a Part A claim.

Most of the B claims are nominal but I do see some approaching $1000 (Medigap portion).

Hospital claims are overstated. Rarely happen. Usually discharged in 72 hours or less.

But hey, I know my market and my client base. They buy what they want, not what I sell them.

There are a lot of agents out there that have no clue how to find out what a client wants and needs. That just makes my job a lot easier.

Same as newby...the ma plans we have are mostly all ineligible for med sups.

Somarco....you really are a "legend in your own mind". Thanks for sharing your wisdom with such a condescending tone.

My question wasn't one of ethics or cherry picking clients...it was based on finding ways to help these folks who are stuck in an MA and can't afford the oop.
95% of my new sales are med sup so I'm fortunate that this is such a small percentage of clients.

Let the client choose. What a novel idea. I might have to give that a try. The only carrier I use that allows me some claim info is Equitable. Most claims are Part B. Almost never see a Part A claim. Most of the B claims are nominal but I do see some approaching $1000 (Medigap portion). Hospital claims are overstated. Rarely happen. Usually discharged in 72 hours or less. But hey, I know my market and my client base. They buy what they want, not what I sell them. There are a lot of agents out there that have no clue how to find out what a client wants and needs. That just makes my job a lot easier.

What person here has said they don't let the client choose? I would love if I could only do med Supps. I'm tired of ma plans but it is what it is.

Wait what? They're supposed to get to choose? But wouldn't that mean I'd have to put more than 1 option on the table?

Hmmm...... seems like a lot of work. <insert eyeroll thingy here>

Can anybody tell me how the medico HI plan compares to the GTL?

I compare these two often and GTL almost always is the better rate for better coverage, therefore my go-to for HIP is GTL.

Medico is a good option for your MAPD clients under 40 that are on SSDI, however. They don't come along too often, but it's nice having Medico's HIP for exactly that reason.

FWIW I went back over my posts. Copied and pasted to see if there was anywhere I had attacked or insulted anyone in this thread.

The closest was in response to "my clients can't afford Medigap" and my comment was "Perhaps you need a better clientele. "

Now if someone takes offense to that maybe they should not be in sales.

But I did ask and infer a number of questions and never got anything close to an informed response.

I also saw a more than one agent attempt to justify selling a hospital indemnity plan by offering sales rhetoric, not irrefutable fact.

You guys and gals have fun. See no reason to waste any more time here. Argue among yourselves as to which one is the greatest.

Back